• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hawaii tickets and arrest warrant from 2002 preventing a Virginia license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckwaters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

In 2002 I was in the Army stationed in Hawaii and one day parked in what I believe is a legal spot ("no parking corner to here" and parked immediately after). I was a very stubborn and stupid kid back then so I parked there 3 days in a row and got 3 tickets and towed. I fought the ticket in court and lost. I blamed the poor education system of Hawaii for their inability to understand the difference between corner to here and here to corner. I didn't pay and was moving back to New Jersey anyway.
I had no trouble getting a NJ license because they are not on the same system as Hawaii I guess. I just moved to Virginia and tried to get a Virginia license but was told Hawaii had suspended my license and I'll have to get it reinstated first.
I called Hawaii's restoration number and they told me I need to send $20to do that. They then told me I should call the court too and see what I owe there. I called the court and they told me there are 2 warrants for my arrest; one for the parking tickets and one for driving while suspended! I don't remember the DWS so I can't say whether or not it's accurate. The court clerk recommended I post the $760 bail and write a letter to the judge explaining that I live on the mainland and won't be coming back and the judge will decide what to do.
My question is: Is paying the $20 restoration fee enough to fix the problem if I'm not planning to go to Hawaii? Or can they suspend my license again? The warrant isn't hindering me here in the continental US as I've passed several background checks and the FAA trust me enough to give me a security clearance.

Thank you in advance for anyone who posts some discussion here. FYI, I just renewed my NJ license a few days ago without trouble.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

In 2002 I was in the Army stationed in Hawaii and one day parked in what I believe is a legal spot ("no parking corner to here" and parked immediately after). I was a very stubborn and stupid kid back then so I parked there 3 days in a row and got 3 tickets and towed. I fought the ticket in court and lost. I blamed the poor education system of Hawaii for their inability to understand the difference between corner to here and here to corner. I didn't pay and was moving back to New Jersey anyway.
I had no trouble getting a NJ license because they are not on the same system as Hawaii I guess. I just moved to Virginia and tried to get a Virginia license but was told Hawaii had suspended my license and I'll have to get it reinstated first.
I called Hawaii's restoration number and they told me I need to send $20to do that. They then told me I should call the court too and see what I owe there. I called the court and they told me there are 2 warrants for my arrest; one for the parking tickets and one for driving while suspended! I don't remember the DWS so I can't say whether or not it's accurate. The court clerk recommended I post the $760 bail and write a letter to the judge explaining that I live on the mainland and won't be coming back and the judge will decide what to do.
My question is: Is paying the $20 restoration fee enough to fix the problem if I'm not planning to go to Hawaii? Or can they suspend my license again? The warrant isn't hindering me here in the continental US as I've passed several background checks and the FAA trust me enough to give me a security clearance.

Thank you in advance for anyone who posts some discussion here. FYI, I just renewed my NJ license a few days ago without trouble.
How did you renew your NJ license a few days ago unless you lied? Oh, never mind. You broke the law again.
When you decide you are going to quit breaking the law then you can get everything fixed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And how did I lie?
You live in Virginia but renewed your NJ license --after apparently Virginia wouldn't let you get a license? And you didn't inform NJ that your driving privileges had been suspended by HI and that VA refused to allow you a license. Those are lies. Of omission but lies.

Last edited:

davew128

You live in Virginia but renewed your NJ license --after apparently Virginia wouldn't let you get a license? And you didn't inform NJ that your driving privileges had been suspended by HI and that VA refused to allow you a license. Those are lies. Of omission but lies.
I've never been asked on any license renewal if my license is or has been suspended. I'm not saying what the OP did was right, but a lie of omission requires that a question should have been answered or information provided.

LdiJ

I've never been asked on any license renewal if my license is or has been suspended. I'm not saying what the OP did was right, but a lie of omission requires that a question should have been answered or information provided.
I have never been asked that question either.

ckwaters

thanks for the responses but this thread seems to be focusing on the wrong aspects. I'm wondering more if there's a statute of limitations for traffic violations. If I pay the restoration fee only will those violations and warrant remain stale or suspend me again at a later time? If I was in Hawaii I would be happy to go to court again better prepared but I'm not. So I don't appreciate the condescending remarks implying that my moral compass isn't as true as yours.

Silverplum

thanks for the responses but this thread seems to be focusing on the wrong aspects. I'm wondering more if there's a statute of limitations for traffic violations. If I pay the restoration fee only will those violations and warrant remain stale or suspend me again at a later time? If I was in Hawaii I would be happy to go to court again better prepared but I'm not. So I don't appreciate the condescending remarks implying that my moral compass isn't as true as yours.
Alrighty.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/hawaii-law/hawaii-statutes-of-limitations.html

FlyingRon

Alrighty.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/hawaii-law/hawaii-statutes-of-limitations.html
Statute of limitations only applies to the time between the offense occurs and the time prosecution commences.
That's off the table. You also don't get any suspension of time for being a fugitive from justice.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Statute of limitations only applies to the time before the offense occurs and the time prosecution commences.
That's off the table. You also don't get any suspension of time for being a fugitive from justice.
:cool: Yup.

I'm just answering OP's question with facts he can look up. His compass will guide him. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">