• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Head In Only Parking ticket in a parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LAJay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, CA Violation Code: 1520070 for Failure to Obey Sign, Head-in Parking Only

I was recently cited for a head in parking only. We parked head out, at night, in a paid parking lot on the beach. All parking spots were straight too. Meaning, none of them were angled. It was a large parking lot. There were no signs anywhere in the entire lot that said head in parking only. Yes, I backed into a parking spot, b/c I find it easier to back into a parking lot spot a lot of the times. But why would I get a ticket? I can understand if the parking spot was on the streets of LA and they were angled parking spots. This would not be safe to back into a parking spot.
I was cited for: Violation Code: 1520070 for Failure to Obey Sign, Head-in Parking Only. But again there were no signs anywhere that stated "head in parking only." $65.00

Anyone else have success in fighting this? I took photos immediately of the entire area including all signs.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

CdwJava

That code section does not conform to any Vehicle Code or L.A. municipal Code. What beach parking lot were you in?

You might be able to beat it if you contest the citation and argue that there are no signs concerning this. But, you might not. You likely lose nothing by contesting it.

EDIT: Okay, found it - it's a COUNTY code section ...

15.20.070 Obedience to traffic signs.

Every operator and every pedestrian shall comply with and obey every instruction appearing on any traffic sign or other marking, which sign or marking has been erected or placed by authority of the board or commissioner or this Division 1. (Ord. 6544 Ch. 1 Art. 3 § 1319, 1954.)
This would imply that there IS a sign somewhere. You might want to look again. Maybe take a video from the entrance to where you parked and scan the surrounding area for every sign and small print you can find. This does not really sound like a PARKING violation, though. It accuses an "operator," it doesn't seem to be written to govern parking. I would be uncomfortable using it as a parking violation, but that's me.

Last edited:

LAJay

It was in Marina Del Rey at the end of Washington Blvd. We took a lot of photos on the spot at night when we got the ticket. I might go back later this week to see if there's any signs we missed that night. But if I go during the day and see a sign that I didn't see at night...what good does that do? It just seems like another way for them to make money.
Mind you, I was in a spot that was large enough for my vehicle. Unlike most of the other SUV's parked in compact spots all over the lot. No tickets for them! Even though, it says compact on their parking spots.

CdwJava

It was in Marina Del Rey at the end of Washington Blvd. We took a lot of photos on the spot at night when we got the ticket. I might go back later this week to see if there's any signs we missed that night. But if I go during the day and see a sign that I didn't see at night...what good does that do? It just seems like another way for them to make money.
Mind you, I was in a spot that was large enough for my vehicle. Unlike most of the other SUV's parked in compact spots all over the lot. No tickets for them! Even though, it says compact on their parking spots.
If other cars were not cited for what you believe might have been a violation it does not provide you with any defense unless you can show that you were singled out solely because of your perceived inclusion in a protected class of people .... since it's a parking ticket, that's not likely.

If you see the signs in the daylight, then you might consider paying the citation.

If there truly are no signs anywhere indicating no backing in, then you would seem to have a built in defense.

You can contest the citation using the procedure indicated on the citation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">