• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

head wrong direction ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timzh

What is the name of your state? ID

One day I parked my car at a half-hour zone along a street in a residential area. The street is for bi-directional traffic, but the zone is only on one side, which is the other side of my side. I just drove to the other side and parked there. Then when I came back there is a ticket! Saying "parked in wrong direction"!!!
Could parking in wrong direction cause a ticket?

racer72

My one and only parking ticket was for the exact same thing, it was in front of my house and I was parked on 5 minutes before I got the ticket.

timzh

Then what about left turn

Don't you also need to drive on the other side when making a left turn, though very temporarily.

In addition, that is a very quiet residential street and I can see far away. If I can make turns, why can't I drive very temporarily and very short distance (less than 10 feet) to the other side? If I make turns, it would take more time and increase the chances of an accident. I think this kind of citation is really a dogmatic understanding of the law.

patstew

Don't you also need to drive on the other side when making a left turn, though very temporarily.
On a bi-directional street??? Only if you're suicidal!

In addition, that is a very quiet residential street and I can see far away.
That reminds me -- these against-traffic tickets are REALLY easy to spot. The mobile officers tell me they can see them from the end of the block.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are required to park against the RIGHT-HAND curb. That is the law. You broke the law and got cited. It's a pretty straight-forward concept ;)

drummerofgold

Happened to me too...

This happened to me a few weeks ago as well. My beef is that in order to pass, one must drive on the other side of the road for the same duration that it took for me to move into that lane to park. It is a passing zone if it is in a neighbourhood, otherwise you could never get around the cars parked along the street. I could understand if this were on a main street where it would be hazardous to be maneuvering your car like that, but not in a residential neighbourhood! Talk about being petty. :mad: I've seen many people park like that around where I live. I happened to be the only one doing it at the time the officer went through though since most people were at work...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This happened to me a few weeks ago as well. My beef is that in order to pass, one must drive on the other side of the road for the same duration that it took for me to move into that lane to park. It is a passing zone if it is in a neighbourhood, otherwise you could never get around the cars parked along the street. I could understand if this were on a main street where it would be hazardous to be maneuvering your car like that, but not in a residential neighbourhood! Talk about being petty. :mad: I've seen many people park like that around where I live. I happened to be the only one doing it at the time the officer went through though since most people were at work...
You are required to park on the right-hand side of the road. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">