• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Highway Patrol took my VIN plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfowler57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Bought 1962 Impala from father. He'd owned it and had it licensed in Missouri. Took my Missouri title up to the DMV in Kansas to license it. Because it was a state-to-state sale, KS told me I had to take it to the Highway Patrol for IDOD. Took car to Highway Patrol. They decided the VIN plate wasn't attached properly so they removed the VIN plate, kept the VIN plate, then told me I had to go back to Missouri DMV to apply for a new VIN plate, but I have no old VIN plate to show them. They gave me no paperwork or receipt. I was dumbfounded at the time but now that I'm home and I've talked to other people, they tell me I'm screwed. What should I do?

Silverplum

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Bought 1962 Impala from father. He'd owned it and had it licensed in Missouri. Took my Missouri title up to the DMV in Kansas to license it. Because it was a state-to-state sale, KS told me I had to take it to the Highway Patrol for IDOD. Took car to Highway Patrol. They decided the VIN plate wasn't attached properly so they removed the VIN plate, kept the VIN plate, then told me I had to go back to Missouri DMV to apply for a new VIN plate, but I have no old VIN plate to show them. They gave me no paperwork or receipt. I was dumbfounded at the time but now that I'm home and I've talked to other people, they tell me I'm screwed. What should I do?
What did the HP say when you called and asked if they'd return it/hold it for you to pick up?

tranquility

The problem is that tampering with a VIN plate (With certain intent.) is a violation of both federal and state laws. If a plate is not attached properly, it is entirely possible for probable cause to exist to seize the plate as evidence of those laws. Be glad the Highway Patrol officer did not find the need to seize the vehicle in toto. There is no legal problem in what the HP did. You have no legal remedy.

Silverplum's post might be the right way to go. Talking to the Highway Patrol could resolve the problem, get your plate back and get in compliance with Kansas law. Personally? Where a potential issue may result in:
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
[18 U.S. Code � 511 - Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers] I would be reticent in talking to the police on such matters. I assume you have none of the intent required for violation of that (or state) laws on the matter. Yet, the core advice to anyone that might be accused of a crime is to avail yourself to your right to remain silent.

That being said, where does that leave you? You could get an attorney to ask the question. The problem there is expense. You could ask yourself being careful to not say anything incriminating. The problem there is that you are a legal idiot. Think of the meme of an attorney who represents himself has a fool for a client. You're not even an attorney. I can certainly imagine where a person with an abundance of caution could call on the matter and not say anything incriminating. I can also imagine all the people living life in peace...

I might focus on fixing the problem. I don't know cars beyond putting the gas in the hole in the back. And, I believe the people who say you put the oil up front. I do know that VIN numbers are all over the vehicle and not just on the plate. Knowing the way business works, I suspect there is some way to verify the vehicle's VIN using an expert. I might try some Google searches using the things you can think relevant to find a guy that "VIN"'s a vehicle. That is obviously not the search. But, think of why the plate was seized and know VIN is attached/stamped/recorded in any of a number of places; not just where the seized item was taken from.

Last edited:

xylene

You need a lawyer. The police strongly suspect you of motor vehicle theft and / or fraud.

xylene

You and your lawyer need to be asking you father like 9000 pointed questions about this car's history.

kfowler57

You and your lawyer need to be asking you father like 9000 pointed questions about this car's history.
My father bought it in Missouri about seven years ago. He titled it and licensed it in Missouri. He insured it in Missouri, He drove it in Missouri. There was no reason to inspect the VIN plate when he titled it because the car stayed in Missouri.

He moved to Florida so he gave it to me. I live in Kansas so I needed the VIN plate inspection to title it in my name.

If anything bad happened re: the VIN plate, it happened before my dad bought it. I realize it's possible something nefarious occurred prior to his purchase that Missouri didn't catch it when he titled it in his name, but there's no reason to suggest my father need be asked 9000 pointed questions by a lawyer. If it turns out the car was tampered with before he bought it, he's the victim here. He spent thousands on paint and upholstery, in addition to the purchase price. I got the car as a gift.

Additionally, in my research yesterday, I've been told by several classic car guys that occasionally a VIN plate comes loose (this one was under the hood, not on the dashboard, it's a 1962) and people have been known to reattach them themselves instead of having HP do it, so let's hope that's the case here.

I'm getting it inspected tomorrow to verify the VIN on the frame is the same as the VIN on the title. I'll go from there.

Wish me luck. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

kfowler57

What did the HP say when you called and asked if they'd return it/hold it for you to pick up?
Apparently the process goes like this: I have to take it to MO DMV, and MO DMV will send me to MO HP. If HP determines the VIN on the frame matches the title, they'll send me back to MO DMV where I will receive a new (MO) title and plate with a new VIN. I then return to MO HP to have the new plate attached. Then it's back to KS HP and, if they finally approve, back to KS DMV to be licensed.

If it doesn't match...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">