• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I fight a handicap ticket in Philadelphia from the PPA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wfc123

Pennsylvania

I recently received a $301 violation for parking unknowingly in a kiosk spot that was marked for handicap by a 4x4 inch blue handicap sign, attached to a signpost that it was barely wider than, which also contained kiosk parking information (I have attached a link of the actual picture of it)

http://wfc5013.fileave.com/Photo0206.jpg

I tried to appeal it saying the sign did not meet PA sign standards using:

§ 212.101. Official signs.
(a) Approved signs. Official traffic signs are identified in the Pennsylvania Handbook of Approved Signs (Department Publication 236M)

and

§ 212.114. Stopping, standing and parking restrictions
e) Parking reserved for persons with disabilities. The Reserved Parking Penalties Sign (R7-8f) shall be installed below all Reserved Parking Signs (R7-8), as provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § 3354(d) (relating to handicapped persons and disabled veterans).

after looking at the approved signs,i noticed the one I parked in front of is not r7-8. So i told them that the ticket is not valid if the sign posted in my spot was not an approved PA sign and that the R7-8f was not below the sign. They denied my appeal, saying i was still liable but never said I was wrong, and they gave me the chance to appeal again.

So, Im wondering, should I...

-Appeal again stating the same laws
-Appeal the size of the sign being hardly wider than the sign post and hard to see
-Appeal that I was unknowingly parking in a handicapped spot and made every attempt (purchasing a ticket from the kisok) to park legally

or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

asiny

I had a great argument typed up... then I scrapped it when I found this;

STATE v LUNDBERG
Looks like you have a valid case and argument - plus you have case law that stands behind your argument.

Good luck and be sure to come back to let us know your argument and outcome.

wfc123

Lundberg

I actually read that case, but I forgot to post it, I will definitely use that in my own case, since niether r7-8 or r7-8B signs were posted. Was your violation in philadelphia also? Thank you for your input!

asiny

Nope. But when I found the case it not only seemed relevant to yours, but was also an exact match regarding the R7-8f not being posted.

rachaelgray

handicapped parking in Philadelphia

WFC123 - I recently got a ticket in a handicapped spot too - and I also didn't see the signs and looked up the legal requirements and saw they were in violation. I have a court date in a month and a half and was wondering if you'd want to try and combine forces in some way on this?

I really think those signs are hard to see - and I got the ticket when I got home after a weekend away. I had been driving for 7 hours and parked just to empty my car out before I put it in the lot that I pay for around the corner. So frustrating..

TMoon

Handicap Parking Mishap

Hi Everyone, I too got a handicap parking ticket in philadelphia. It was late at night and a tree was blocking the sign. When I came back to the car it had a ticket for $301 on there. I read up on the Lundberg case as well and I've noticed that the R7-8f was not posted on there as well. I am debating whether it is worth fighting. Has anyone else had any luck?

powers21c

Result

What was the result of this case? I just received a similar ticket and am wondering if it is worth it to fight it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you think the OP is still around after a year and will respond to your question think again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">