• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to fight an illegal traffic stop? Rhode Island

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

And only the court can decide whether the stop was without reasonable suspicion. In general, if the observation that caused the stop was such that an officer of similar training and experience would come to the same conclusion, then the stop will be valid. But, all of that depends on the stats of relevant case law.

So, expect to take a day off and hope that you can prevail on both cites.

SpawnedX

And only the court can decide whether the stop was without reasonable suspicion. In general, if the observation that caused the stop was such that an officer of similar training and experience would come to the same conclusion, then the stop will be valid. But, all of that depends on the stats of relevant case law.

So, expect to take a day off and hope that you can prevail on both cites.
I didn't get cited for the bumper issue, lol, after showing him the official inspection manual he returned with citation only for the insurance documents. Heck it's the same insurance document I showed to the same city police department when the uninsured motorist hit me which is the whole reason I don't have a bumper cover anymore period. I can even supply the report number to him if he wanted to see that.

Right now I have a ticket only for the insurance documents. That itself seems like basically he admits his actual reason to pull me over was not valid. Because there is no way he could have reasonably pulled me over for suspicion of no car insurance documents.

I understand and agree that the judge has to make that call for reasonable suspicion. What I am asking for is how to present the case, which you yourself have given the information I needed.

FlyingRon

By the way, in addition to it not mattering as a reason for the stop, you're WRONG about the RI law on bumpers. Passenger car bumpers must meet the original manufacturer's specifications (which would include what you perceive to be purely cosmetic coverings).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also please don't say things like "make sure you have your insurance documents blah, blah..." I am a 31 year old man not some nitwit kid. I had zero reason to go through my car and pre-prepare to be pulled over this evening as I obey traffic laws and have kept my car within the legally required condition to be on the road.
I carry a card in my glovebox, a card in my wallet, and a digital copy on my phone. I guess in another 10-15 years you'll learn to be more prepared. Good day.

SpawnedX

By the way, in addition to it not mattering as a reason for the stop, you're WRONG about the RI law on bumpers. Passenger car bumpers must meet the original manufacturer's specifications (which would include what you perceive to be purely cosmetic coverings).
You are 2 million percent wrong. This has been hashed out a thousand times with the state garage every time we have tried to fail a car for this and they let us know it does not fail for it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From your own beloved manual:

3.6.1 BUMPERS - Passenger type vehicles
Inspect every passenger type vehicle for bumpers (front and rear) according to the
original manufacturers’ specifications.

Without the cover, it no longer meets the original manufacturers' specifications. Ergo, the stop was valid, even if the officer later decided not to cite you on it.

Get a cell phone, it'll save you time ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">