• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got a ticket parked on the street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeyLady

In California for having just one Lic plate on my car, I was parked on my street
Anyway My ticket shows an amount of $44.50
But when I called to pay for my Ticket it says it's $47.50
after calling the woman she says she does not know why the guy wrote the wrong amount. Which should I pay?
:confused:

CdwJava

In California for having just one Lic plate on my car, I was parked on my street
Anyway My ticket shows an amount of $44.50
But when I called to pay for my Ticket it says it's $47.50
after calling the woman she says she does not know why the guy wrote the wrong amount. Which should I pay?
:confused:
If it were me, I'd send in the amount indicated on the parking citation.

But, that $3 difference might result in other problems if the bureaucracy does not recognize your payment as payment in full. While you might eventually prevail, not paying that additional $3 could result in them considering the payment NOT made and the matter going to collections or a lien being placed on your registration. It might not be worth the potential hassle for $3.

dmcc10880

If it were me, I'd send in the amount indicated on the parking citation.

But, that $3 difference might result in other problems if the bureaucracy does not recognize your payment as payment in full. While you might eventually prevail, not paying that additional $3 could result in them considering the payment NOT made and the matter going to collections or a lien being placed on your registration. It might not be worth the potential hassle for $3.
The $3 could be a credit card processing fee if paying by phone or over the internet (if possible)?

Also Hey Lady, do you have a car that does not have a bracket for a front license plate?

dmcc10880

Good thinking but probably not true.

Absolutely, positively irrelevant.
You're so right. I was just curious because Hey Lady could have saved herself a few dollars by doing it the right way.

As for the $3 fee, some municipalities have surcharges of $6 or more if paying by phone or online due to the fees they are being charged by the credit card companies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're so right. I was just curious because Hey Lady could have saved herself a few dollars by doing it the right way.
Agreed

As for the $3 fee, some municipalities have surcharges of $6 or more if paying by phone or online due to the fees they are being charged by the credit card companies.
Fair enough

CdwJava

Many cities have recently increased fees and that may not have been passed on to the officers issuing the citations. If not regularly engaged in parking enforcement, an officer might have a chat sheet that lists fees that might be years old. My city recently bumped theirs by $3.50 so our sheets are out of whack. If this $3 is not a credit card or or phone processing fee, then it is likely an error, but it is one that might create many headaches to try and correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">