• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was handed a Cell-Phone Ticket in NY. My name is wrong on the ticket. Legit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boncovi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a NJ driver's license and got a cell phone ticket in NYC.

an NYPD officer at an intersection spotted the "magical" moment and pulled me over.

Asked my license, issued me a yellow ticket that says (Traffic Ticket) with all my info on it.

The ticket is weird.

My name starts with U, but he scribbled it like a V
My last name is correct.
My address is 6615, ticket says 6815.
Zip code is 07093, ticket says 08093.
Plate number is ZHR-xxx ticket looks like LHR-xxx
DL # is 14 digits in NJ. However, the field in the ticket is 9 digits. Last 5 digits of my DL# is not on the ticket at all.

Based on this, now I am checking the NYC e-plead website and my name is wrong. It was entered with V, instead of U. My last name and DOB matches.

I am totally noob and this is my 2nd ticket (first was parking).

This wasn't a parking ticket, the officer asked my license and obviously wrote the information recklessly.

Is this ticket valid? What is the story behind "if there's any info wrong on the ticket, it's invalid" ?

Thank you
Boncovi

racer72

The error does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation and likely will not be cause for dismissal.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Is this ticket valid? What is the story behind "if there's any info wrong on the ticket, it's invalid" ?

Thank you
Boncovi
The ticket is valid, especially since you found your ticket online with your name and DOB.

Who told you such a ridiculous story.

boncovi

The ticket is valid, especially since you found your ticket online with your name and DOB.

Who told you such a ridiculous story.

Well, the thing is, I had been looking for the ticket with my name, it didn't show up at all.

Then I "assumed" it may be entered wrong and tried it as "Vxxxx" while my name is "Uxxxxx"

So, all I'm seeing is, my name with wrong initial, my last name, and DOB.

Again, on the system, my name is wrong. And I accessed that page by entering my name wrong on purpose.

Banned_Princess

Well, the thing is, I had been looking for the ticket with my name, it didn't show up at all.

Then I "assumed" it may be entered wrong and tried it as "Vxxxx" while my name is "Uxxxxx"

So, all I'm seeing is, my name with wrong initial, my last name, and DOB.

Again, on the system, my name is wrong. And I accessed that page by entering my name wrong on purpose.
So, you intend on claiming its not your ticket, because of the first letter in your [name] is wrong?

Ok. go with that then :rolleyes:

I'm sure when its time to chase you for the ticket, whoever is responsible for connecting your names (via the mistaken first letter) will connect your ticket with you, issue a warrent if you have been ticketed to appear, license suspended, the fee and fines attached to you. all of that.

just pay the ticket.

FlyingRon

The misspelling doesn't matter.
You were given the ticket, that's all the notification YOU need.
If you think they'll never match up the misspelled name with your real records, feel free to roll the dice, but with a DL #/DOB ,etc.... you're not likely to get that lucky.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The officer wrote out the ticket incorrectly. There is only room for a 9 character license "number". He should have written the entire license number in the "violation description" box, instead of truncating it.

You may have a chance of getting this dismissed if you get the right judge, but I'm not overly optimistic. Why don't you just admit to yourself you were wrong and get it over with? This violation carries no points.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">