• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I never received my renewed registration. what is a legal defense for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What section of the NYC Traffic Rules were you cited for violating?

Keep in mind that when you appeal you cannot introduce any NEW evidence - you can use evidence that you have already submitted. If you showed that the car was, in fact, registered then you should have been found not guilty. There is not much more you can argue during your appeal.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you received tickets for TR 4-08 (j)(1) then as long as you presented proof that the registration was valid you should have been found not guilty.

However, if you were written for TR 4-08 (j)(3) then you don't have a chance - that statute requires vehicles to display a valid registration sticker, and yours did not. It sounds like this is what the parking tickets were written for.

HighOnPotenuse

If you received tickets for TR 4-08 (j)(1) then as long as you presented proof that the registration was valid you should have been found not guilty.

However, if you were written for TR 4-08 (j)(3) then you don't have a chance - that statute requires vehicles to display a valid registration sticker, and yours did not. It sounds like this is what the parking tickets were written for.
Thank you HighwayMan. Yes all 5 tickets were cited for a TR 4-08(j)(3). I presented them the confirmation and date of the registration renewal, the temporary registration and when it expired and the receipt of the registration i received from the DMV myself. As i mentioned before the 2 prior the the expiration of the temporary were dismissed.

Thanks at this point based on everyones input it seems i'm going to lose anyway, so i'll just try and illicit some pity from the judge and hope for the best, because i feel i've been wronged and paying for someone else's mistake simply because they failed to deliver the new registration (which till this date i never received). i guess because i don't have the luxury of going to the DMV at the drop of dime because i have work and other responsibilities it's my fault. okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You parked your car on the street KNOWING it wasn't displaying a valid registration. You're right...that's not a mistake. It's an intentional violation of the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

HighOnPotenuse

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You parked your car on the street KNOWING it wasn't displaying a valid registration. You're right...that's not a mistake. It's an intentional violation of the law.
I'm sorry where was i suppose to park my car while WAITING for the registration i paid for that never arrived. Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have a private garage or afford one. Get off your high horse. I am not taking full responsibility for a law i didn't intentionally/purposefully break. The law shouldn't be so black and white.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry where was i suppose to park my car while WAITING for the registration i paid for that never arrived. Some of us aren't fortunate enough to have a private garage or afford one. Get off your high horse. I am not taking full responsibility for a law i didn't intentionally/purposefully break. The law shouldn't be so black and white.
But...you DID intentionally break the law. You chose to park on the street without current registration displayed. You WERE able to get it rectified with a visit to the DMV. You CHOSE to do so only AFTER getting hit with three citations.

ETA: Well, five citations, but two of them weren't justified. I guess citations ARE effective in ensuring people comply with the law :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">