• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I received a ticket for an open can of beer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcoleman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Indiana. But this happened in Illinois. I was a passenger in my truck. I was not drinking anything. However, I just dropped off a friend who was drinking something. She must have jammed an open beer can under my front seat. I was given a ticket for an open container of beer. I don't have to show up in court. I just have to send in the ticket with either $120.00 and a guilty plea or plead not guilty and be assigned a trial date. I am on probation for possession of a controlled substance currently. What are my options?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Indiana. But this happened in Illinois. I was a passenger in my truck. I was not drinking anything. However, I just dropped off a friend who was drinking something. She must have jammed an open beer can under my front seat. I was given a ticket for an open container of beer. I don't have to show up in court. I just have to send in the ticket with either $120.00 and a guilty plea or plead not guilty and be assigned a trial date. I am on probation for possession of a controlled substance currently. What are my options?
How did the cop find the beer??

xylene

Was this can empty? ;)

You really need to get a lawyer, immediately.

This is definitely a potential violation, lame defense

I am not saying that things did not go down exactly the way to say.

BUT - the "invisible uncorroboratable other person defense" is a lame one and won't get you out of the fine or the probable probation issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">