• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Recieved A Ticket For Fictitious Plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM LEGEND

Update: I Recieved A Ticket For Fictitious Plates

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi, I recently had my car towed for displaying fake plates. In NJ we have 2 plates, so I used one plate on the car I was driving and one on a car I was trying to sell (which was the one that was towed). The car that was towed had no registration which I never received a ticket for and luckily had insurance because my insurance company forgot to switch the insurance from the car that got towed to the one I was driving.

I only received a ticket citation for 33:3-33A. The next day I went to register the car that had been towed and got the car out of the pound. The next week I sold the car because it was causing a lot of problems.

I researched and found that this type of violation is punishable up to $500.00 or 60 Days in county jail or both. I am a college student who is tight on money and I've learned my lesson from this whole ordeal. If it comes down to it, I am willing to pay the $500 if that is what it costs.

Is there any advice on how I should handle this situation? I have a court date set for the end of February.

update: okay they are sentencing me to 10 days in county jail...

sike...I just paid $54 total...you guys give advice that makes it seem worse of a situation that it actually is....the prosecutor said did you get it registered? I said yeah, then he said okay $54. paid and I was out of there..

Last edited:

The Occultist

A local attorney would best know what the courts want to hear in order to avoid paying them high fees. However, this may not be ideal for you since you are trying to avoid paying any fees, and if you have to pay those fees to an attorney instead of the courts, that is obviously defeating the purpose.

If this is not a moving violation, then you will have nothing to lose by simply trying to plead your case with a remorseful tone and hoping your voice falls onto a sympathetic ear.

Stay tuned as more knowledgeable posters may have further insight to offer.

patstew

A local attorney would best know what the courts want to hear in order to avoid paying them high fees. However, this may not be ideal for you since you are trying to avoid paying any fees, and if you have to pay those fees to an attorney instead of the courts, that is obviously defeating the purpose.
Our town has a low-cost legal assistance organization. OP, it couldn't hurt to call the bar association and see if something like that exists where you are.

I AM LEGEND

Our town has a low-cost legal assistance organization. OP, it couldn't hurt to call the bar association and see if something like that exists where you are.
I will definitely look into that. I thank the both of you!

Anymore advice, wisdom, or suggestions?

xylene

If this is not a moving violation, then you will have nothing to lose by simply trying to plead your case with a remorseful tone and hoping your voice falls onto a sympathetic ear.
This is much worse than a moving violation, it is full on appearance ticket. This is an arrestable offense.

The poster should really consider seeking an lawyer to at least try to minimize this very serious charge.

In some states the action he did could be considered felonious.

HomeGuru

This is much worse than a moving violation, it is full on appearance ticket. This is an arrestable offense.

The poster should really consider seeking an lawyer to at least try to minimize this very serious charge.

In some states the action he did could be considered felonious.
**A: hence my response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">