+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    I AM LEGEND is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4

    Arrow Update: I Recieved A Ticket For Fictitious Plates

    What is the name of your state? New Jersey

    Hi, I recently had my car towed for displaying fake plates. In NJ we have 2 plates, so I used one plate on the car I was driving and one on a car I was trying to sell (which was the one that was towed). The car that was towed had no registration which I never received a ticket for and luckily had insurance because my insurance company forgot to switch the insurance from the car that got towed to the one I was driving.

    I only received a ticket citation for 33:3-33A. The next day I went to register the car that had been towed and got the car out of the pound. The next week I sold the car because it was causing a lot of problems.

    I researched and found that this type of violation is punishable up to $500.00 or 60 Days in county jail or both. I am a college student who is tight on money and I've learned my lesson from this whole ordeal. If it comes down to it, I am willing to pay the $500 if that is what it costs.

    Is there any advice on how I should handle this situation? I have a court date set for the end of February.

    update: okay they are sentencing me to 10 days in county jail...










    sike...I just paid $54 total...you guys give advice that makes it seem worse of a situation that it actually is....the prosecutor said did you get it registered? I said yeah, then he said okay $54. paid and I was out of there..
    Last edited by I AM LEGEND; 02-23-2008 at 07:10 PM.
  2. #2
    The Occultist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,408
    A local attorney would best know what the courts want to hear in order to avoid paying them high fees. However, this may not be ideal for you since you are trying to avoid paying any fees, and if you have to pay those fees to an attorney instead of the courts, that is obviously defeating the purpose.

    If this is not a moving violation, then you will have nothing to lose by simply trying to plead your case with a remorseful tone and hoping your voice falls onto a sympathetic ear.

    Stay tuned as more knowledgeable posters may have further insight to offer.
  3. #3
    patstew is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    552

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by The Occultist View Post
    A local attorney would best know what the courts want to hear in order to avoid paying them high fees. However, this may not be ideal for you since you are trying to avoid paying any fees, and if you have to pay those fees to an attorney instead of the courts, that is obviously defeating the purpose.
    Our town has a low-cost legal assistance organization. OP, it couldn't hurt to call the bar association and see if something like that exists where you are.
  4. #4
    I AM LEGEND is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by patstew View Post
    Our town has a low-cost legal assistance organization. OP, it couldn't hurt to call the bar association and see if something like that exists where you are.
    I will definitely look into that. I thank the both of you!

    Anymore advice, wisdom, or suggestions?
  5. #5
    I AM LEGEND is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4
    pushing to the top of the thread for more advice if any.
  6. #6
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,919
    Quote Originally Posted by I AM LEGEND View Post
    pushing to the top of the thread for more advice if any.
    **A: my thoughts are " what the heck were you thinking?"
  7. #7
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,747
    Quote Originally Posted by The Occultist View Post
    If this is not a moving violation, then you will have nothing to lose by simply trying to plead your case with a remorseful tone and hoping your voice falls onto a sympathetic ear.
    This is much worse than a moving violation, it is full on appearance ticket. This is an arrestable offense.

    The poster should really consider seeking an lawyer to at least try to minimize this very serious charge.

    In some states the action he did could be considered felonious.
  8. #8
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,919
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    This is much worse than a moving violation, it is full on appearance ticket. This is an arrestable offense.

    The poster should really consider seeking an lawyer to at least try to minimize this very serious charge.

    In some states the action he did could be considered felonious.
    **A: hence my response.
  9. #9
    I AM LEGEND is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4
    bump......
  10. #10
    The Occultist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by I AM LEGEND View Post
    sike...I just paid $54 total...you guys give advice that makes it seem worse of a situation that it actually is....the prosecutor said did you get it registered? I said yeah, then he said okay $54. paid and I was out of there..
    *shrug* My answer was correct enough

Similar Threads

  1. Fictitious License Plates
    By Scott Kramer in forum Other Crimes Federal and State
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
  2. Out of State Ticket for expired plates & parking ticket.
    By jdermont in forum Parking Tickets and Non-Moving Violations
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
  3. Expired Plates Ticket
    By bryancj in forum Parking Tickets and Non-Moving Violations
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
  4. parking ticket on old plates
    By lmajors in forum Parking Tickets and Non-Moving Violations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 03:48 AM
  5. VA Plates, Parking Ticket in DC (
    By Abhi in forum Parking Tickets and Non-Moving Violations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.