• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I showed my insurance and still got a ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nhakohen

lakewood nj. I got a ticket for faiure to show insurance. I told the officer that I have it and asked for a minute to find it. (It was at night and it fell down.) He said "bear with me" and retuned to his car and wrote the ticket. When he returned he saw that I have it he said to come to court and "we'll take care of it." The prosecuter wanted me to pay half the fine ($75 plus court costs) is there a way I can fight it? (what is the legal time limit for failure to exibit?)

W

Willlyjo

lakewood nj. I got a ticket for faiure to show insurance. I told the officer that I have it and asked for a minute to find it. (It was at night and it fell down.) He said "bear with me" and retuned to his car and wrote the ticket. When he returned he saw that I have it he said to come to court and "we'll take care of it." The prosecuter wanted me to pay half the fine ($75 plus court costs) is there a way I can fight it? (what is the legal time limit for failure to exibit?)
Have you gone to your court date yet? If so, you needed to plead not guilty and a trial would take place. At the trial, you need to bring up reasons/evidence why you are not guilty.

If you haven't been to your court date (listed on the ticket) yet, then when you go, make sure you plead not guilty and then you will have a chance to avoid these payments. It is probable that the judge will dismiss it anyway without forcing you to go to trial. But if he doesn't, plead "Not Guilty".

Cop probably got a call on his radio that required his urgent attention,, like " 1/2 price donuts at the bakery on 12th and main" so he did not give you the time to find your card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">