• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal parking--blocking driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

While this isn't really a legal question, in a way it is.

My sister has a house across the street from a school and there is an entrance to the day care portion of the campus almost directly across from her property. School has started. As in all previous years living at the residence, on this first morning, a wonderfully considerate person parked her car in front of sister's driveway--blocking her from getting out. Of course this is illegal and in violation of school requests to all parents, but it still happens with regularity. So, as is the process, sister takes a photo of the license plate and texts it to the school who will contact the parent and tell them they were bad. After a few more texts of violations, the school puts out another announcement. But, no difference. The school cares, but not really. Besides, I'm not sure how draconian they'd have to be before getting real change.

Calling the police seems a little overkill, but it has been tried. As you might guess, a parking violation isn't a high priority call and, since the time there is usually short, the vehicle is gone before the police arrive. (Although one time, the car called on had left and another had arrived at the time the police came--that one was ticked. Karma I suppose.)

Now to the question, is there anything you cleverly evil people can come up with that might cause a reduction in the parking problem? I created a bunch of notes with the law and school policy on them that look like a citation and gave them to my sister to place under the wiper away from the driver's side of the illegally parked vehicles so at least the driver has a moment of fear while she has to get outside to retrieve the notice. But, once they see the note, the fear is gone and some find it meaningless. And, while I thought of having her write a quick note with soap on the window that would require a couple of minutes to clean off (thus being a hassle to the illegal parker), I suspect that is illegal in some way. (At least a trespass to chattel.)

Any ideas?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

While this isn't really a legal question, in a way it is.

My sister has a house across the street from a school and there is an entrance to the day care portion of the campus almost directly across from her property. School has started. As in all previous years living at the residence, on this first morning, a wonderfully considerate person parked her car in front of sister's driveway--blocking her from getting out. Of course this is illegal and in violation of school requests to all parents, but it still happens with regularity. So, as is the process, sister takes a photo of the license plate and texts it to the school who will contact the parent and tell them they were bad. After a few more texts of violations, the school puts out another announcement. But, no difference. The school cares, but not really. Besides, I'm not sure how draconian they'd have to be before getting real change.

Calling the police seems a little overkill, but it has been tried. As you might guess, a parking violation isn't a high priority call and, since the time there is usually short, the vehicle is gone before the police arrive. (Although one time, the car called on had left and another had arrived at the time the police came--that one was ticked. Karma I suppose.)

Now to the question, is there anything you cleverly evil people can come up with that might cause a reduction in the parking problem? I created a bunch of notes with the law and school policy on them that look like a citation and gave them to my sister to place under the wiper away from the driver's side of the illegally parked vehicles so at least the driver has a moment of fear while she has to get outside to retrieve the notice. But, once they see the note, the fear is gone and some find it meaningless. And, while I thought of having her write a quick note with soap on the window that would require a couple of minutes to clean off (thus being a hassle to the illegal parker), I suspect that is illegal in some way. (At least a trespass to chattel.)

Any ideas?
Your sister could get some orange cones and place them in the area in front of her driveway, so that it cannot be blocked. She would have to move them out of her way so that she could leave each day, but that is one option.

She could check and see if the city will allow her to post a sign indicating that if someone blocks her driveway that their car will be towed...and if she gets such permission, she could have a towing company on speed dial.

Mass_Shyster

I have no problem with calling the police. In fact, a visit may help where the situation could be discussed with an officer who may have a legal solution.

I would certainly have a supply of nasty notes on hand.

How about a big sign that reads:

"Automobiles for donation to the cancer society should be parked in front of this driveway"

Insert charity of your choice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Keep calling the police every single time the driveway is blocked.. Given enough complaining, the police might just send a cruiser to sit there for a morning to help deter this sort of behaviour.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I found that out after researching stickers. I would call the police each and every time there is a violator. I would photograph the car and license plate.

Are the parking in her driveway, or on the street where her driveway just happens to be an opening?

Antigone*

I would stand there with my camera phone, let the guilty parent see me take a picture of their license plate and then take a tell them to smile and take a picture of them. I'd let them know that these picture will be given to the police shortly upon their arrival.

Heck I might even start a blog and post the guilty parties photos (not the plates) as offenders.

FlyingRon

My mother has a similar problem wth a nearby religious organization. She bought four used traffic cones from the local rental place and just sets them out in the street in front of her driveway.

The really cheeky people were the ones that parked in her driveway.

Silverplum

The orange cones are what I've seen work in similar situations.

I've tried to block off the Evil Plans Portion of my brain, and am afraid to go in There to think up bad things for your sister to do to intrusive parkers. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">