• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal stop / search??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyber Justice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: NEW JERSEY

OK, really simple. Oh, and by the way - as always - thank you very much in advance!

I was driving responsibly & within the legal limit in a relatively new vehicle when I was pulled over.

The officer said that he ran my license plate & found my registration had expired. I explained that 1. no reg renewal notice in the mail 2. my last car was 16 yrs old, so I was accustomed to renewing my reg. annually during the same month - just before my annual inspection. (With my new vehicle I was told that I didn't need to inspect for 4 yrs & I somehow took for granted that that also applied for my reg.)

I received a ticket = $54 but I know that with my insurance penalties I will end up paying hundreds!

QUESTIONS: Can an officer in NJ randomly run citizens' license plate numbers when there is no cause to? If not -- any suggestions?

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME.

racer72

QUESTIONS: Can an officer in NJ randomly run citizens' license plate numbers when there is no cause to?
Yes. Technically, the license plate belongs to the state and you gave the state permission when you voluntarily attached the plate to your vehicle.

1. no reg renewal notice in the mail
Not required, it is just a courtesy extended by the state.

2. my last car was 16 yrs old, so I was accustomed to renewing my reg. annually during the same month - just before my annual inspection.
Old habits die hard. Ultimately, it is yours, not the state's, responsibility to make sure your vehicle is legal to operate on the roads of your state.

I received a ticket = $54 but I know that with my insurance penalties I will end up paying hundreds!
The ticket is a non moving violation and should not affect your insurance rates.

Mass_Shyster

The issue of running plates for no reason but to run the plates is going to become huge soon.

There are camera systems available that can run every plate in view and notify the officer which car within his view has an expired tag, expired insurance, owner with a warrant, not inspected, etc.

CdwJava

The issue of running plates for no reason but to run the plates is going to become huge soon.

There are camera systems available that can run every plate in view and notify the officer which car within his view has an expired tag, expired insurance, owner with a warrant, not inspected, etc.
It can become as big an issue as some want to make it. But, it is perfectly legal and there is numerous cases that support this fact.

Those camera systems are still too expensive to be widely deployed in the vast majority of jurisdictions any time in the next decade. I will be long retired before any such technology is even marginally deployed in CA.

Mass_Shyster

It can become as big an issue as some want to make it. But, it is perfectly legal and there is numerous cases that support this fact.
I realize it's legal, and don't disagree that it should be. I'm just pointing out that in the forseeable future, you won't get far in a car that's not insured, registered, inspected, injected and detected.

Those camera systems are still too expensive to be widely deployed in the vast majority of jurisdictions any time in the next decade. I will be long retired before any such technology is even marginally deployed in CA.
I don't think it will take that long. They should be able to be integrated into the current laptop in many cruisers, and the current dash camera, although it may take a camera with higher resolution than is currently used. The software is already available. There's really no reason this can't be done for under $1000 in reasonable quantities.

CdwJava

I don't think it will take that long. They should be able to be integrated into the current laptop in many cruisers, and the current dash camera, although it may take a camera with higher resolution than is currently used. The software is already available. There's really no reason this can't be done for under $1000 in reasonable quantities.
The vast majority of law enforcement vehicles in CA are still not even equipped with on-board cameras, let alone the software systems to add license reading to them.

We've looked at these for quite some time and would have to lose about one officer per 12 cars equipped - and that would not be including annual maintenance and increased computer hardware to download and store the data from just the camera system.

Until 2015 (and likely beyond) law enforcement will be counting paperclips ... spending thousands on cameras and license reading software is not all that likely to happen until well after I am retired (though I am looking to take a partial retirement and move in 3 years when/if I can find gainful employment in a state besides the CA Titanic).

You Are Guilty

The system requires specialized equipment, including the cameras. Not cheap.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4516177553_d0fe920ff7_z.jpg

BOR

QUESTIONS: Can an officer in NJ randomly run citizens' license plate numbers when there is no cause to?
Here is a case from the NJ SC. Yes, it is permissable. I could not find any 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals cases though. However, the last case I am aware of was the 9th Circuit ruling on it, in the affirmitive also, in 2007, and they did not cite a 3rd Circuit case.

Obviously the issue has not presented in the 3rd or if it was, it was ruled FOR, or the officer could not have done it if it was ruled against.

There is no implied consent or even express written consent when one buys a LP, to agree to have it run without cause though.

I have never read where a court anywhere presented with this issue to decide it in the negative, courts are in accord on this issue.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nj-supreme-court/1309504.html

Banned_Princess

I have known about this for like 3 years now. And when I said my county was using license plate readers, you guys (no particular person) said.. ohh no they don't have that. police don't use that... your paranoid.

lol, no paranoid is thinking the police can hear inside your car, but at this rate any time now...

I guess my county is just at the top of the loop.

Cyber Justice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: NEW JERSEY

OK, really simple. Oh, and by the way - as always - thank you very much in advance!

I was driving responsibly & within the legal limit in a relatively new vehicle when I was pulled over.

The officer said that he ran my license plate & found my registration had expired. I explained that 1. no reg renewal notice in the mail 2. my last car was 16 yrs old, so I was accustomed to renewing my reg. annually during the same month - just before my annual inspection. (With my new vehicle I was told that I didn't need to inspect for 4 yrs & I somehow took for granted that that also applied for my reg.)

QUESTIONS: Can an officer in NJ randomly run citizens' license plate numbers when there is no cause to? If not -- any suggestions?

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME.

UPDATE:Thank you all -- when I drive from now on, I'll remind myself that my license plates are New Jersey state property!

CdwJava

I have known about this for like 3 years now. And when I said my county was using license plate readers, you guys (no particular person) said.. ohh no they don't have that. police don't use that... your paranoid.
Who were "you guys?" I have known about these systems for many years, they were just not widely deployed and they are STILL not widely deployed. I know of only two agencies in CA that have a handful of cars with these devices, and they have them due to grant funds.

One of the things everyone that gets technology forgets is that systems like this are high tech devices in low tech cars deployed and utilized by largely non-tech grunts that do not treat the equipment with kid gloves. Between use/abuse, weather, rigors of bouncing vehicles, tech requirements, and ongoing upgrades and modifications, the maintenance costs of much of this new technology can be prohibitive. Overeager administrators see the toy and find the money to buy the toy, but then find that their computer system infrastructure (or IT personnel) are not up to the job thus requiring even greater expenditures.

Heck, I just wish my department could have just ONE handled computer tablet
they show us in CSI! And what I wouldn't give for a system that would show the revolving head/bust of a person, list their friends and employers, lovers, siblings, and Social Security history! Ah, they make it look so easy on TV!

xylene

Who were "you guys?" I have known about these systems for many years, they were just not widely deployed and they are STILL not widely deployed. I know of only two agencies in CA that have a handful of cars with these devices, and they have them due to grant funds.
These systems are more common east coast style.

In NY, many police departments, even small agencies have these systems

Got to spend those homeland security block grants on something... :)

CdwJava

These systems are more common east coast style.

In NY, many police departments, even small agencies have these systems

Got to spend those homeland security block grants on something... :)
What they are finding is that the grants to BUY the stuff is great ... maintaining or replacing the equipment is where the long term planning has sometimes fallen short. Technology can have a short shelf life.

GoIllini

Heck, I just wish my department could have just ONE handled computer tablet
they show us in CSI! And what I wouldn't give for a system that would show the revolving head/bust of a person, list their friends and employers, lovers, siblings, and Social Security history! Ah, they make it look so easy on TV!
Hehe, I'm a programmer and nobody I know gets this stuff. Some of the best developers are at Google and Apple, and their best programming goes out to the customers. So the iphone is your best shot at the revolving head/cool graphics in the background. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">