• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegally charged by tow truck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davew128

Still not sure how your post was helpful.
Not my problem. If you want to play stupid, that's your issue.

Please quote the part of wiseguy's post where he asked for advice, because I ain't seein' it.
I never said he asked for advice. I suggest you reread what he posted put it into CONTEXT. If you can't figure out what is plain as day to me, don't expect me to waste my time explaining it to you.

OHRoadwarrior

Does you standing there, with a hang dog look on your face change the vehicle being illegally parked? It does not matter that you are standing next to your illegally parked car, they can hook it because it is illegally parked, as long as they are authorized to be hooking cars illegally parked in that lot. Allowing you to pay the fine and dropping your car, is a courtesy. They could just take it and let you waste more time claiming it.

logdog

I actually found out that in the city, it doesn't matter if it's a private company towing on a private lot, or a truck from the city on city property, if my car is not hooked up to the truck when i am present, then I have every legal right to move it and not pay a penny because I am not under their possession. It's actually fraudulent that they convinced me that I had no choice. I got this information from the Auto-theft department of the city police and they agreed that they were being fraudulent. Still a real towing company but their actions are fraudulent. However, I have no physical evidence to prove it. But now I know what to do if i happen to overlook a tow away zone sign and am in this situation again.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Take it to court and you will discover the judge sides in their favor. The application of such a procedure, would be applicable to vehicles attended. Yours was not attended. You came back AFTER the tow truck was preparing to hook it.

davew128

Take it to court and you will discover the judge sides in their favor. The application of such a procedure, would be applicable to vehicles attended. Yours was not attended. You came back AFTER the tow truck was preparing to hook it.
Ok, that's enough. Your position on this is absurd. If it was me standing between the tow and my car and they tried to move me, there'd be a problem. A BIG problem. And you know what? I'd be legally justified based on self defense once they attempted (and failed miserably) to move me.

Based on what we have established including local ordinance on the matter as explained by the local police, you would have us believe that the tow truck can effectively steal the vehicle and assault the owner to hook it. My BS detector is about to explode.

OHRoadwarrior

Ok, that's enough. Your position on this is absurd. If it was me standing between the tow and my car and they tried to move me, there'd be a problem. A BIG problem. And you know what? I'd be legally justified based on self defense once they attempted (and failed miserably) to move me.

Based on what we have established including local ordinance on the matter as explained by the local police, you would have us believe that the tow truck can effectively steal the vehicle and assault the owner to hook it. My BS detector is about to explode.
You are entitled to your opinion. However, remember this is based on facts and law, not your personal emotion. I suggest OP sue the towing company, then come back and tell us the result. OP did not cite the law, OP said he was told there was a law to that effect. You are free to try and obstruct a tow truck doing their job. If it is a city parking authority, I bet you are arrested with no hesitation. :D

davew128

You are entitled to your opinion. However, remember this is based on facts and law, not your personal emotion. I suggest OP sue the towing company, then come back and tell us the result. OP did not cite the law, OP said he was told there was a law to that effect. You are free to try and obstruct a tow truck doing their job. If it is a city parking authority, I bet you are arrested with no hesitation. :D
Sounds like an opinion to me. Unless you can find some legal justification that allows a a government licensed contractor to assault me in order to take my property.

wiseguy

Based on your posting history, I have come to the conclusion that your parents wiring networking cables into their basement for you was a mistake.
Talk about someone needing reading comprehension skills. I have not lived with my parents for 40 years and they don't even have a basement. You seem to come to a lot of nonsensical conclusions.

The Occultist

See, this is why I don't see that your post was helpful: instead of telling what the OP can do now to fix his situation, you are telling him what he should have done even though it's too late for that. Unless your posts also include a free time machine, your posts on this thread have been utterly useless.

davew128

See, this is why I don't see that your post was helpful: instead of telling what the OP can do now to fix his situation, you are telling him what he should have done even though it's too late for that. Unless your posts also include a free time machine, your posts on this thread have been utterly useless.
Unless you're prepared to offer a solution yourself, you should keep your trap shut. OP GAVE money to the tow company. The odds of a legal solution for recovery are slim and none and slim just walked out the door.

HOWEVER, there is BENEFIT for the OP and anyone else who reads this thread to know how to deal with this type of situation in the FUTURE. So get your midget butt off the soapbox, you've done nothing to help ANYONE in this thread, except make people want to watch old episodes of Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">