• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegally towed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trumpeter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
City: Los Angeles

I went to a rehearsal the other day and car pulled with a friend. I left my van where I often do, on a street by my place without any parking signs. I'd had my van there for a while, moving it every week at least 10 feet since it's not my main car. Mostly in same area but I move it up and down the street too. Mostly using it as storage and planning to sell soon (actually, this week...grrrr), and also in the process of moving out of my apt this week too. You couldn't see anything in the van from the windows so I didn't think of it as asking for trouble. So morning after the van is gone with almost all my stuff in it, including all of my horns. Police has no record, it's being considered stolen but they "likely can't do anything". I called a tow place that's only a couple blocks away, they say they don't have it. Then I happen to walk by today and see it sitting there in their lot. I call and ask (since they won't let me in gate) and they say, oh, yeah, we have that, it was through police. I tell them police has no record of the tow and it is reported as stolen. They say it is "maybe towed by accident" (there has never been any tickets or issues, so I don't know how that's possible). They say I can get it but have to pay their fee of a couple hundred smackers. I am completely broke and don't have any extra money (in fact, that's why I was going to sell the van). They won't let me retrieve it even though there is no proof they can offer of why it was towed. And they only want cash.

Police still are telling me I have to pay the fee even though it was basically stolen. I have no idea what to do, my life's stuff is in that van (my trumpets) worth 1,000s of dollars. I have $13 to my name right now. I will get paid from working end of the month but that's not going to help me get either the horns or my van right now. Was relying on money from van sale to get me through the month. They won't even let me get my stuff from inside.

Please don't write about not best decisions I made, yes, I probably shouldn't have put horns in car overnight. Please just on issue of car being wrongfully towed. Just no idea what to do.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I went to a rehearsal the other day and car pulled with a friend. I left my van where I often do, on a street by my place without any parking signs. I'd had my van there for a while, moving it every week at least 10 feet since it's not my main car. Mostly in same area but I move it up and down the street too. Mostly using it as storage and planning to sell soon (actually, this week...grrrr), and also in the process of moving out of my apt this week too. You couldn't see anything in the van from the windows so I didn't think of it as asking for trouble. So morning after the van is gone with almost all my stuff in it, including all of my horns. Police has no record, it's being considered stolen but they "likely can't do anything". I called a tow place that's only a couple blocks away, they say they don't have it. Then I happen to walk by today and see it sitting there in their lot. I call and ask (since they won't let me in gate) and they say, oh, yeah, we have that, it was through police. I tell them police has no record of the tow and it is reported as stolen. They say it is "maybe towed by accident" (there has never been any tickets or issues, so I don't know how that's possible). They say I can get it but have to pay their fee of a couple hundred smackers. I am completely broke and don't have any extra money (in fact, that's why I was going to sell the van). They won't let me retrieve it even though there is no proof they can offer of why it was towed. And they only want cash.

Police still are telling me I have to pay the fee even though it was basically stolen. I have no idea what to do, my life's stuff is in that van (my trumpets) worth 1,000s of dollars. I have $13 to my name right now. I will get paid from working end of the month but that's not going to help me get either the horns or my van right now. Was relying on money from van sale to get me through the month. They won't even let me get my stuff from inside.

Please don't write about not best decisions I made, yes, I probably shouldn't have put horns in car overnight. Please just on issue of car being wrongfully towed. Just no idea what to do.
If you want your vehicle, you will find a way to pay their fees. Otherwise, they'll sell it when enough time has passed. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

The way you were parking the vehicle was illegal. You have to move the vehicle more than 10 feet a week in order to not violate the law when it's parked on a public street in LA.

CdwJava

The police are telling you to pay what fee? To them? If they didn't have it towed, then they shouldn't have a release for you to pay for.

The fees will accumulate every day. Get it out now, and fight it later. Go to the tow yard, get the vehicle out and demand to see the paperwork authorizing the impound. If it was towed by the police, then there will be a CHP-180 form associated with the impound along with an authority section (Vehicle Code, or, maybe, a Municipal Code). That will tell you WHY it was towed.

if it was NOT towed by the police or a local parking authority, and the car was towed by a private tow company from public property, then they will owe you $$$$. But, you might have to go to Small Claims court to collect. Not to mention that you could possibly have the tow operator charged with theft for stealing your car without lawful cause. This has the potential of being a boondoggle for the tow yards.

Eekamouse

If the tow companies are anything at all like the ones where I live, I can almost guarantee your van was gone through and items of value stolen by the people who work for the tow company. :mad:

davew128

If the tow companies are anything at all like the ones where I live, I can almost guarantee your van was gone through and items of value stolen by the people who work for the tow company. :mad:
You need to move out of East County. In the beach communities the towing companies document and photograph everything when it comes to towing a vehicle. They are aggressive but so far as I can tell, law abiding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">