• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illigal to park infront of you own drive way curb

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blau

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In CA is it legal to parallel park on you own drive way curb. thanks

AdoptADog

CVC 22500 (e) In front of a public or private driveway, except that a bus
engaged as a common carrier, schoolbus, or a taxicab may stop to load
or unload passengers when authorized by local authorities pursuant
to an ordinance.

The state law states that you cannot park in front of ANY driveway. No exception for it being your own.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CVC 22500 (e) In front of a public or private driveway, except that a bus
engaged as a common carrier, schoolbus, or a taxicab may stop to load
or unload passengers when authorized by local authorities pursuant
to an ordinance.

The state law states that you cannot park in front of ANY driveway. No exception for it being your own.
You missed this exception:

22507.2. Notwithstanding subdivision (e) of Section 22500, a local
authority may, by ordinance, authorize the owner or lessee of
property to park a vehicle in front of the owner's or lessee's
private driveway when the vehicle displays a permit issued pursuant
to the ordinance authorizing such parking.
The local authority may charge a nonrefundable fee to defray the
costs of issuing and administering the permits.
A local ordinance adopted pursuant to this section may not
authorize parking on a sidewalk in violation of subdivision (f) of
Section 22500.

CdwJava

The issuance of such permits must be rare as I have never heard of any jurisdiction that issues one. Likely because the cost to administer the program outweighs the limited benefit.

While it is possible to receive a cite for parking in front of your own driveway, it is likely that an officer who runs the license plate and it comes back to the house in question will not cite it. But, that's my own personal experience, not any universal rule or based upon any polls I have taken.

blau

my drive way is already filled with my other car. The thing is I am not on a busy street. There are plenty of parking space my street in general. It is just that I like to park in front of my house if I can for obvious reasons. It is hard to believe that a random person will call in to the police. It is hard to believe people on my street would not know that is my car on the street. But still someone called it in. :mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
my drive way is already filled with my other car. The thing is I am not on a busy street. There are plenty of parking space my street in general. It is just that I like to park in front of my house if I can for obvious reasons. It is hard to believe that a random person will call in to the police. It is hard to believe people on my street would not know that is my car on the street. But still someone called it in. :mad:
Are you SURE someone called it in? Some cities actually have parking enforcement units that travel around the city looking for violations.

ETA: If there is plenty of parking space on your street, why don't you park legally?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">