• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impound fees for car I sold months ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ripped_off

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

California

I recently moved to California and was not familiar with all the vehicle transfer laws and such here. Anyways, I bought a car, owned it for several months, then sold it in July of 2005. I filled out the pink slip, but gave the whole thing to the buyer (rather than mailing the small top portion to the DMV). I also did not send a release of liability to the DMV. However, I did make up a bill of sale with the buyer with both of our signatures and date on it.

As it turns out, the buyer never registered the car. Apparently, it was also stolen from him and wrecked. It was then towed and impounded by order of his local police department. I got a notice still stating myself as the legal and registered owner about two weeks ago. I called the police department and told them what happened. They told me to send a release of liability to the DMV as soon as possible, which I did.

That was about a week or two ago. Fast forward to now and I got a notice in the mail from the towing/impound company stating that I owe them fees. It states that fees will accumulate until December 16th, at which point the vehicle will be sold. However, they said that I would be liable for all fees which weren't covered by the sale of the vehicle.

The tow company released the car to the buyer. He has not picked it up however, and since it is wrecked, I don't see a strong motivation for him to do so. I worry that he is just going to try get me stuck with the towing and impound fees. The tow company did release the vehicle to him though and he did get his personal property out of it, but he has not taken the car yet.

This makes no sense to me. If the tow company recognizes this is not my car and releases it to someone else, how can they charge me fees for it. I should report them for unauthorized access to my car if that's the case (it's either all or nothing).

Anyways, what is some general advice that anyone can offer here (besides speaking with an attorney, as I have already planned to do that). Can I use the bill of sale as leverage at all? Furthermore, if I do end up owing the tow company fees (if they end up selling the car), what is the worst they can do about it? Can they attack my vehicle registration (putting a balance on my DMV account and I can't register or title any vehicles until I pay) or can they attack my credit through small claims court? Can they also seize any of my property? If so, would adding my girlfriend (or anyone else) to my car registration as a 2nd owner be a good idea at all?

TYRIS

ripped_off said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

California

I recently moved to California and was not familiar with all the vehicle transfer laws and such here. Anyways, I bought a car, owned it for several months, then sold it in July of 2005. I filled out the pink slip, but gave the whole thing to the buyer (rather than mailing the small top portion to the DMV). I also did not send a release of liability to the DMV. However, I did make up a bill of sale with the buyer with both of our signatures and date on it.

As it turns out, the buyer never registered the car. Apparently, it was also stolen from him and wrecked. It was then towed and impounded by order of his local police department. I got a notice still stating myself as the legal and registered owner about two weeks ago. I called the police department and told them what happened. They told me to send a release of liability to the DMV as soon as possible, which I did.

That was about a week or two ago. Fast forward to now and I got a notice in the mail from the towing/impound company stating that I owe them fees. It states that fees will accumulate until December 16th, at which point the vehicle will be sold. However, they said that I would be liable for all fees which weren't covered by the sale of the vehicle.

The tow company released the car to the buyer. He has not picked it up however, and since it is wrecked, I don't see a strong motivation for him to do so. I worry that he is just going to try get me stuck with the towing and impound fees. The tow company did release the vehicle to him though and he did get his personal property out of it, but he has not taken the car yet.

This makes no sense to me. If the tow company recognizes this is not my car and releases it to someone else, how can they charge me fees for it. I should report them for unauthorized access to my car if that's the case (it's either all or nothing).

Anyways, what is some general advice that anyone can offer here (besides speaking with an attorney, as I have already planned to do that). Can I use the bill of sale as leverage at all? Furthermore, if I do end up owing the tow company fees (if they end up selling the car), what is the worst they can do about it? Can they attack my vehicle registration (putting a balance on my DMV account and I can't register or title any vehicles until I pay) or can they attack my credit through small claims court? Can they also seize any of my property? If so, would adding my girlfriend (or anyone else) to my car registration as a 2nd owner be a good idea at all?

-If you have a bill of sale, any charges should go to the owner of the vehicle (or his insurance). If the tow company choses to do so they can take you to civil court and you will fight it out there. I highly doubt that they can do anything through DMV. Any claims or liens against property would be only if they you are found liable.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">