• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impound problem in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

douginsf

California:

So, I had a car that was recently towed (on Dec. 5th) due to expired tags.

The fee to get it out of impound (as of today) will be just under $500. Paying that and then repairing it or trying to sell it (or even donate it) really is a losing situation. However, in the interim I've had some 10 or so people respond to ads on craiglist listing it for between $1000 and $1500. So the wisest move seems to be to hand the pink slip over to the impound lot. But the lot *ALSO* wants the $495 in fees. Can't afford that.

I went to the lot on Tuesday, arriving just 5 minutes before closing time, but their guy had already pulled the gate to the lot shut and was driving away. In talking to him about the options he reiterated the demand for the $495 plus the pink slip, because as he said they'll just sell it for scrap at $70. This goes against what the law states about this sort of an impound. (And of course there's an extra day's fee now that the gate is shut.)

Do I just ignore it? What should I do? What will my liability be if I ignore it (a lawyer friend from out of state says he interprets the CA laws as stating that the lien sale will sufficiently cover any recovery the impound lot has.

HELP!What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">