• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impounded vehicle in OHIO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osubuck30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was pulled over today for expired tags and issued a ticket plus my car was impounded. I am 26 and this was the first time being pulled over. The tags were expired for 4 months. I obviously just completely forgot.

I don't mind paying the ticket I just don't understand the impound (Is it just for more $$$). The cop said he HAD to impound the vehicle. He said he would be held liable if the vehicle was in an accident since he pulled it over and there was now a record of it. (I should note I was less then a half mile from my house and I have known people who were allowed to drive a car home after being pulled over for this). Is this cop lying to me or did he do this because he could not because he had to?

Like I said never been pulled over before and I just feel like the cop could of given me a bit of a break and was being a bit rude to me. What sucks is its a Holiday weekend and I will have to wait till Tuesday so the impound lot will have the vehicle 3 days. Any responses would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

racer72

Your vehicle was illegal to drive on a public roadway. Ultimately, it was your negligence (by 4 months) that resulted in the tow, not the perfectly legal actions of the police officer.

osubuck30

I understand his legal right to do this but did he have to?? I just feel if I got a different cop things would of turned out different. Why does he got to impound a car from someone who just made an honest mistake? Don't mind the ticket as I did forget.

Do I have a legal right to get my vehicle before Tuesday if I can tow it somewhere? According to the cop I cannot get the vehicle released until I register it. It is still my property(paid fully) and I have a friend who could tow it on a flat bed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">