• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

improper display of registration sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aangie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I recently received 2 tickets for improper display of registration sticker. That I had affixed to the windshield, registration sticker was placed correctly when I came back in the evening from work( Thursday evening). Over the weekend I was not using that car nor did I notice that the sticker was on the dash board. Meanwhile 2 tickets were issued first one was issued 1am and the second one the day after at 5am. What are my chances of saying I received a defective sticker and actually having the ticket appealed?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What are my chances of saying I received a defective sticker and actually having the ticket appealed?
DMV notifies courts and law enforcement agencies when a bad batch of stickers is discovered, which is RARE.

Most times it's due to failure to clean the windshield properly before putting the new sticker on.

What were you actually charged with?

aangie

DMV notifies courts and law enforcement agencies when a bad batch of stickers is discovered, which is RARE.

Most times it's due to failure to clean the windshield properly before putting the new sticker on.

What were you actually charged with?
improper display of reg sticker - sticker on dash
4-08-(j)(3)

You Are Guilty

The last bad batch of sticker glue was back in 2009. I wouldn't count on that as a defense.

You can try arguing that the sticker fell off on its own accord (and was on the dashboard; not totally missing) which might get you out of one of the tickets, but I'd expect you'll probably have to pay for at least one if not both. NY needs money :D

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The statute says:

(3) Vehicles must display valid registration sticker. No person shall stand or park a vehicle bearing a New York plate or plates unless it properly displays a current registration sticker.

No where does it state that the sticker must be mounted on the windshield. That's covered by the DMV rules/regs.

If the sticker was visible you can make an argument that the charge is invalid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">