• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance declear my car total and said I need to go a get a salvage title. What now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Insurance declare my car total and said I need to go a get a salvage title. First all what does that mean? I did a search on the net most of the articles say what you have to do to get a salvage title. From what I can tell the insurance company will report that I have a total car to the dmv. What happen then do I get a letter from DMV saying I have to do A,B,C?

Also how long do I have to get my salvage title? What will happen if I continue to drive the car without getting the salvage title? Will it just be like driving with an expire registration (fix ticket). Will there be a penalty like registration for not getting the salvage title on time? Or that it never shows up until I have to sell the car?

Also can I drive on the street with a salvage title? In my research there seem to be some sort of inspection associated with a salvage title. Does passing the inspection get me on the road? And what do I need to do to pass the inspection to get it back on the road?

thanks in advance for you help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Insurance declare my car total and said I need to go a get a salvage title. First all what does that mean? I did a search on the net most of the articles say what you have to do to get a salvage title. From what I can tell the insurance company will report that I have a total car to the dmv. What happen then do I get a letter from DMV saying I have to do A,B,C?

Also how long do I have to get my salvage title? What will happen if I continue to drive the car without getting the salvage title? Will it just be like driving with an expire registration (fix ticket). Will there be a penalty like registration for not getting the salvage title on time? Or that it never shows up until I have to sell the car?

Also can I drive on the street with a salvage title? In my research there seem to be some sort of inspection associated with a salvage title. Does passing the inspection get me on the road? And what do I need to do to pass the inspection to get it back on the road?

thanks in advance for you help.
When you contacted the DMV to discuss all of your questions, what were you told? THEY will be able to tell you exactly what THEY will require in order to issue a salvage title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">