• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invalid/No state license ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sh0rtchica

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Thursday I received a parking ticket in a Metro parking garage from the Fairfax County Police Dept. The violation cited stated Code 82-5-26(A), Invalid/No State License. In the remarks section, it said "No month displayed on either tag".

As background, I've had my car for over two years (so I've renewed registration twice), and I never got a month sticker from the dealer to begin with. I didn't think anything of it, as I've had two parking tickets and one minor moving violation since, and nobody said anything about it.

I looked up the code that was cited, and it said "It shall be unlawful for any person to park on any highway any vehicle not displaying a current state motor vehicle license and a current motor vehicle safety inspection sticker issued by a state designated official inspection station."

My registration is current, so do I have grounds to appeal this?

AlanShore

Because there is no law that said's ohhh if no one tell's you, your exempt from the rule.

it's an inspection sticker, you don't know your not suppose ti have your car inspected.....

You have no legal grounds for anything except payin the fine.

sh0rtchica

Because there is no law that said's ohhh if no one tell's you, your exempt from the rule.

it's an inspection sticker, you don't know your not suppose ti have your car inspected.....

You have no legal grounds for anything except payin the fine.
Actually, it's part of registration, it has nothing to do with inspection. It just shows when your registration expires. My registration is current, and the year sticker on my car shows that. No where in the code does it say what your plate must include on it, just that you have to have a valid registration. I do.

AlanShore

Then why does everyone else have them on their plates?

I looked up the code that was cited, and it said "It shall be unlawful for any person to park on any highway any vehicle not displaying a current state motor vehicle license and a current motor vehicle safety inspection sticker issued by a state designated official inspection station."
Thats where I got that from.

Regardless, obviously its a rule in your state to have the sticker on your plates regardless of what its for. You don't. You violated the law. Pay your fine. Move on.

Another one of the 99 people who come here looking not for legal advice but just for someone to agree with them.

Last edited:

iTrend

Plate stickers

Thanks for the info on that.

Hey, to throw a lil wrench in the original question:

What's the jurisdiction of say, a Virginia officer with regards to an out-of-state licensed vehicle with the same issue?

Are his/her hands tied from ticketing when the tag is not Virginia?

Example: I have a Texas plated truck but don't have the stickers on the plate. I have all tax, insurance (inspection not needed in Texas) and proper updated paperwork in glove compartment, just don't have the stickers visible ("they're in the mail").

Is it in the jurisdiction of Virginia officer (be it county, city or hiway patrol) to give a ticket for something that is clearly not in their state?

Thank you for your time!

Then why does everyone else have them on their plates?

Thats where I got that from.

Regardless, obviously its a rule in your state to have the sticker on your plates regardless of what its for. You don't. You violated the law. Pay your fine. Move on.

Another one of the 99 people who come here looking not for legal advice but just for someone to agree with them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the info on that.

Hey, to throw a lil wrench in the original question:

What's the jurisdiction of say, a Virginia officer with regards to an out-of-state licensed vehicle with the same issue?

Are his/her hands tied from ticketing when the tag is not Virginia?

Example: I have a Texas plated truck but don't have the stickers on the plate. I have all tax, insurance (inspection not needed in Texas) and proper updated paperwork in glove compartment, just don't have the stickers visible ("they're in the mail").

Is it in the jurisdiction of Virginia officer (be it county, city or hiway patrol) to give a ticket for something that is clearly not in their state?

Thank you for your time!
Please start your own thread. When you do, please make it clear whether you were operating your Texas vehicle in Texas or Virginia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">