• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jail as an alternative for "Class C" TX tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midamerican

What is the name of your state? This question is about TX.

Has anybody on here had any experience using the "lay out" jail option to paying fines in Texas? Here is a legal document from that state's Municipal Courts manual that seems to say it is a legit alternative.

Scroll down to last two forms in this URL: www.tmcec.com/Forms04/INDIGENT.doc

I ask because I have a handicap parking rap in one TX town with a relatively small and new jail, and I am sorely tempted to sit out rather than pay a fine that exceeds $400 when the late charges and costs are added on. I'm off work for most of the Thanksgiving - Christmas period and wife will be away on business a couple of those weeks. If I could serve out the punishment in four days or so I'd consider it. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have parked there, but hundreds of dollars for a parking ticket just ain't right.

Anybody have any experience with this motion? Do the judges usually grant it?What is the name of your state?

patstew

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have parked there, but hundreds of dollars for a parking ticket just ain't right.
Au contraire, mon frere, it's precisely right. My state just went up from $250 to $350, and I know others are much higher. There's a reason for this.

I'm guessing you never do this sort of thing again.

midamerican

Au contraire, mon frere, it's precisely right. My state just went up from $250 to $350, and I know others are much higher. There's a reason for this.

I'm guessing you never do this sort of thing again.
You're right that I probably won't do it again. However, Texas traffic fines, and court costs too, have just gone inordinately high and you won't convince me otherwise. The whole court cost structure, which is even (far) worse for moving violations, is tied into Texas not having a state income tax and the state trying to finance much of its courts off of fees from folks who use the courts. I probably wouldn't have done it again if it was a $100 fine.

I find it interesting many other states like yours are raising the fines, but I still think Texas fines are nuts. If there had been handicapped people around that day, there were other spots so I have a tough time believing I actually victimized someone and I see other things in courts that are punished less extremely than handicapped parking and other traffic incidents in TX.

If I am talking about serving time, which is what this thread is about, it's not like I am blowing it off and not accepting responsibility, though I admit I have been less than prompt in dealing with this ticket because the size of the fine really ticked me off.

Meantime, if anybody on here has any experience with the "lay out in jail" motion in this thread, post your experience. Thanks.

Last edited:

HappyHusband

The whole court cost structure, which is even (far) worse for moving violations, is tied into Texas not having a state income tax and the state trying to finance much of its courts off of fees from folks who use the courts. I probably wouldn't have done it again if it was a $100 fine.
I agree. Let's write our congressmen.
I would gladly pay a state income tax in order to alleviate the burden on disadvantaged citizens such as yourself, by lowering the fines for your parking tickets.

racer72

Most jails charge for the privelige of spending time locked up if that option is used in lieu of paying fines. And often, the Graybar Hotel charges just about the same as the fine on the ticket.

Keith50

Apparently what you are asking about can indeed be done in Texas.

Here's a guy named Steve who did it in the Irving, Tex., City Jail at $50 a day, and apparently didn't have to pay the jail any "surcharge" for "room and board."

It's the second post down at http://thewretchedoftheearth.blogspot.com/2006/06/why-choose-jail.html .

Still, while it may be possible to do in Texas, not sure I'd want to spend part of my holiday season in an orange jumpsuit or black-striped pants. Jail, even the better ones, is not supposed to be fun, and I doubt seriously that it would be. Note the word "wretched" in the URL above. Good luck. Let us know if you do this -- anyway, I found Steve's post at the URL above to be interesting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">