• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jaywalking In Las Vegas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OutrageInVegas

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I got a jaywalking ticket in Las Vegas and was not too worried
until I found out today that the fine is $695!

As a senior citizen living on social security this has me more than a little upset.

Here are the circumstances of the ticket:

I came out of a supermarket in a small shopping center intending to go to the
library which was directly across the street. The nearest traffic lights and crosswalks
were over 100 yards in either direction.

I walked through the mall parking lot and passed within 5 feet a cop sitting
on a motorcycle about 10 feet from the sidewalk.

I paused on the sidewalk for a few seconds, looked in both directions, and
there was not a single car coming in either direction. (Both traffic lights were red).

I cossed the street and encountered another cop on the other side of the
street who proceeded to write me a jaywalking ticket. He claimed he was
writing these tickets as a safety issue.

Is there any way to beat this ticket??

If this enforcement were a safety issue, is the first cop I passed with the clear intent
to cross the street under any obligation to issue a warning to me?

Is the necessity for me to walk 200 yards (100 up and back) out of my way in
order to cross the street some kind of unjust burden that could be the basis for
acquittal??

To say I'm outraged is the understatement of the year, because the first
cop I passed could/should have issued me a warning.

I view this whole process as an devious alternative for the city to raise
money rather than raising taxes or fees in a legitimate legislative process.

By the way, the cops definitely don't target the tourists in Las Vegas for
jaywalking, lest they hurt the tourism industry. So, I also, view this as
some kind of discriminatory or selective enforcement.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated since my court date
is in 2 days.

Thanks.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

JETX

Long post... and NO DEFENSE go the charge.
The only thing you can do is go to court and present your 'defense'. The court might take pity on your 'skewed logic' and cut $5 or so from the fine.

BTW... call the court. You appear to have the fine wrong.... looks like it is $95.00 NOT $950.00!!

patstew

I cossed the street and encountered another cop on the other side of the street who proceeded to write me a jaywalking ticket. He claimed he was writing these tickets as a safety issue.
Is there an ordinance prohibiting jaywalking in Las Vegas?
Did you disregard it?

If this enforcement were a safety issue, is the first cop I passed with the clear intent to cross the street under any obligation to issue a warning to me?
In your case, I believe I would have walked the five feet and asked if it was okay.

Is the necessity for me to walk 200 yards (100 up and back) out of my way in order to cross the street some kind of unjust burden that could be the basis for
acquittal??
Do you have a walking disability?

By the way, the cops definitely don't target the tourists in Las Vegas for
jaywalking, lest they hurt the tourism industry. So, I also, view this as
some kind of discriminatory or selective enforcement.
Based on what? How would the officer know whether you were a resident or a tourist?
Do you have to wear identifying badges? :rolleyes:

As a senior citizen living on social security this has me more than a little upset.
If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.

OutrageInVegas

Thanks for the responses.

I can see I'm in bad shape in this case.

But I still think that laws are enforced with some degree of discretion
and sense of justice.

I'm simply going to ask the judge where is the justice in deliberately permitting
citizens to violate a statute when the violation could have been easily prevented with no undue effort.

The Occultist

Um, no, that is not what you are going to do. If you try to cop an attitude, you will not make any friends in court. If you go in there and get on your knees and beg for mercy (metaphorically), then perhaps you'll see some leniency.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i have lived here in Vegas for 3 years, and i agree with 'outrage'.
i have been the victim of discriminatory behavior from the cops here for the reason 'outrage' mentions.
i was walking in the daytime in a park by a library that i frequent.
i was just walking along enjoying my ipod and the day when i was stopped by 2 police cars
evidently the park adjoined a non-posted private area,...there was no visible sign of separation between public and private in this park.
i'm here to tell you that the police here are red-neck to the core, and it is all about the money here.
they treat illegals and tourists like gold, because of ...why?.... the money.
watch out at the end of the month when they have to meet their quota, they will stop you for being from the south... that's really a no-no. i was made fun of by a cop that didnt like my southern accent.
funny, this is supposed to be the 'liberal west coast'... it is the most prejudiced place on earth. i've traveled around the world, i am female in my 50s, and i am caucasian. i've never had this kind of harrassment anywhere i've lived or visited.
when/if one should ever move here, be afraid, ...be very afraid.
this is only one of my horror stories and i've heard others similar.
This thread is over a year old. Please don't "necropost"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">