• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge Jerk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

System Sucks

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I contested a bunch of parking tickets on August 16th. The only reason that I received that many parking tickets is because I am employed at a company in downtown Lansing. I park at meters due to a handicap. I can't walk long distances. I have a handicap placard, but the few spots available for the handicapped are often taken when I get to work.

In any event, the judge ordered me to pay nine parking tickets in the amount of $120 by September 16th. It was a good deal compared to the cost of each ticket at the original fine amount. Unfortunately, however, I didn't have any extra cash to pay the parking tickets until October 5th. I was shocked to find out, when I went to court on October 5th, that I had to see an arraignment judge because there was a warrant for my arrest.

I didn't receive any notification of a warrant issuing and the judge didn't tell me that a warrant would be issued if I failed to pay the tickets on September 16th. I received absolutely no paper work from the court other than a 14 day notice after I failed to pay the tickets on September 16th. The judge's behavior completely shocked me. He acted as if I were criminal that killed somebody. He was very rude and unreasonable.

The judge said I was in contempt of court for failing to appear in court on September 16th. I didn't receive a notice to appear in court that day. However, I was supposed to pay the tickets on September 16th, which I didn't. The judge ordered me to pay $175 or go to jail. I paid the $175, but there has to be a procedural claim with regard to my right to know what to expect. If I had known that a warrant would have been issued against me, I would have borrowed money to get the tickets paid.

racer72

So you think you are above the law and they should not apply to you? It looks like the judge gave you a break, your ignorance of the law cost you some money now the judge is a jerk. Get real dude, if you are looking for a shoulder to cry on you won't find one here.

wirry1422

To the op, you may want to look up michigan law or find the paperwork that came with your placard, because i would be willing to bet that Michigan has a law allowing free parking and no time limit at all meters with a time limit greater then 30 minutes. Most states have that provision. If so, and you really did display a valid placard registered to you, then appeal the verdict. It is unfortunate that Michigan is one of the few states that still treats parking tickets as quasi-criminal offenses, just as moving violations, rather then civil non-criminal violations, like most other states.

BelizeBreeze

To the op, you may want to look up michigan law or find the paperwork that came with your placard, because i would be willing to bet that Michigan has a law allowing free parking and no time limit at all meters with a time limit greater then 30 minutes. Most states have that provision. If so, and you really did display a valid placard registered to you, then appeal the verdict. It is unfortunate that Michigan is one of the few states that still treats parking tickets as quasi-criminal offenses, just as moving violations, rather then civil non-criminal violations, like most other states.
Read the post again. This is NOT about appealing the original decision or the fines. It's because the poster thumbed his nose at the court and refused to either appeal in a timely manner (for which he has lost that right now) or did not pay his judgement.

Your advice is worthless and misleading.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read the post again. This is NOT about appealing the original decision or the fines. It's because the poster thumbed his nose at the court and refused to either appeal in a timely manner (for which he has lost that right now) or did not pay his judgement.

Your advice is worthless and misleading.
Ahhh, but BB - the advice was EXACTLY what the poster wanted to hear! Isn't that what everyone comes here for? :rolleyes:

gawm

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In any event, the judge ordered me to pay nine parking tickets in the amount of $120 by September 16th. It was a good deal compared to the cost of each ticket at the original fine amount. Unfortunately, however, I didn't have any extra cash to pay the parking tickets until October 5th. I was shocked to find out, when I went to court on October 5th, that I had to see an arraignment judge because there was a warrant for my arrest.
If you would have went to court on the 16th(like you were suppose to have to pay the fine) and told the judge you were having financial difficulties and need to Oct. 5th and would definitely pay it then, I have no doubt in my mind the judge would have gave you the extra time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">