• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws about displaying permit in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddarvish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I received a ticket and was found liable after contensting a violation for parking more than 1 hour without displaying a permit. So my permit was displayed but was on the dashboard, not hanging from the rear view mirror. They simply state their reason to be that the "permit was not properly displayed at the time of citation"... I tried searching in the CVC and in city of santa monica laws for what they consider properly displayed but no luck... Anyone think i have a shot if i request a review.

I received a ticket and was found liable after contensting a violation for parking more than 1 hour without displaying a permit. So my permit was displayed but was on the dashboard, not hanging from the rear view mirror. They simply state their reason to be that the "permit was not properly displayed at the time of citation"... I tried searching in the CVC and in city of santa monica laws for what they consider properly displayed but no luck... Anyone think i have a shot if i request a review.
Who says it was improperly displayed? Some ticket jockey?

How many of your friends were with you when you properly displayed the permit? Is the dollar amount worth fighting over?

sandyclaus

Per the issuing authority's website (http://www.smgov.net/Departments/Transportation/parking-content.aspx?id=15936), it specifies EXACTLY what they consider to be proper placement of those parking permits:

Placement of Permits
Residential and visitor hangtag permits must be hung from the rearview mirror with the colored, numbered part of the permit facing the rear of the vehicle. Permits must be removed when the vehicle is in motion [CVC Section 26708(a)]. Resident bumper sticker permits must be placed on the left rear bumper only.
It also clearly states that:

You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly.
You have absolutely NO shot if you request a review.

Just pay the ticket you so rightfully earned, and display the permit properly from now on to avoid a recurrence.

sandyclaus

Who says it was improperly displayed? Some ticket jockey?

How many of your friends were with you when you properly displayed the permit? Is the dollar amount worth fighting over?
Some ticket jockey who was apparently properly prepared with the appropriate information upon which to issue the ticket.

And what do this guy's friends have to do with him getting a ticket? Do you honestly think that having an audience will affect the legitimacy of the ticket?

Some ticket jockey who was apparently properly prepared with the appropriate information upon which to issue the ticket.

And what do this guy's friends have to do with him getting a ticket? Do you honestly think that having an audience will affect the legitimacy of the ticket?
Says who? The ticket jockey? I think that it is OP's word against that of a ticket jockey and if OP has witnesses that saw him properly display the permit or were with him when he returned to the car, saw the ticket and saw that the permit was properly displayed then OP would win by a preponderance of the evidence in a civil hearing.

sandyclaus

Says who? The ticket jockey? I think that it is OP's word against that of a ticket jockey and if OP has witnesses that saw him properly display the permit or were with him when he returned to the car, saw the ticket and saw that the permit was properly displayed then OP would win by a preponderance of the evidence in a civil hearing.
Says OP, by his own admission:

...So my permit was displayed but was on the dashboard, not hanging from the rear view mirror....
Since the permit was NOT hanging from the rear view mirror as required, it was improperly displayed. And he was subject to being cited if the permit was not displayed correctly, which it wasn't.

Dude, just stop blathering and read what's been presented. Your argument was failed to begin with, and now you're just wasting your breath.

Says OP, by his own admission:
That's what OP says here. Who knows what OP and his friends will say should he decide to contest the ticket. Memories change. This is not a hearing. It's an advice forum.

Dude, just stop blathering and read what's been presented. Your argument was failed to begin with, and now you're just wasting your breath.
I will never stop blathering. I might take a break now and again, but blather on I shall...

CdwJava

What code section was cited? And, since it was likely a muni code, what city are you in?

The muni code may explain what it means to b e properly displayed.

Per the issuing authority's website (http://www.smgov.net/Departments/Transportation/parking-content.aspx?id=15936), it specifies EXACTLY what they consider to be proper placement of those parking permits:

It also clearly states that:

You have absolutely NO shot if you request a review.

Just pay the ticket you so rightfully earned, and display the permit properly from now on to avoid a recurrence.
That's not entirely accurate. Just because the website identifies the parking enforcement officer's preferred permit placement doesn't mean it's required by law. Unless mentioned specifically in the State code, the Municipal code, or case law, you have a fair shot of beating the ticket.

CdwJava

I'm guessing, but I suspect that the permit probably states on in that it is to be hung from the rearview mirror. If so, then that would constitute proper display.

But, the OP is free to contest the citation and, if they lose, to pay an administrative court to hear the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">