• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal definition of Parked Vehicle in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serotta1958

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I was idling about 4 feet from the curb near a handicapped parking space.
I was waiting for my daughter to come out from a restaurant.

I was there exactly 2 minutes when a policeman gave me a $500 ticket.

The policeman told me that what I was doing met the legal definition of parking.

I am trying to find the legal definition of parking in Virginia but cant.

Anyone have advice on where to find it?
Or advice on how I should handle this in court?

serotta1958

Thank you..

What I am looking for is something that highlights the fact that a person loading and unloading passengers is not in violation of a parking regulation.

The definition you found focuses more on Standing.
No vehicle shall be stopped except close to and parallel to the right edge of the curb or roadway, except that a vehicle may be stopped close to and parallel to the left curb or edge of the roadway on one-way streets or may be parked at an angle where permitted by the Commonwealth Transportation Board, the Department, or local authorities with respect to highways under their jurisdiction.

single317dad

http://www.codepublishing.com/VA/staunton/html/Staunton10/Staunton1025.html#10.25.010

The only reference to loading and unloading I'm able to find directly refers to "unloading zones", which handicapped spaces are not.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What I am looking for is something that highlights the fact that a person loading and unloading passengers is not in violation of a parking regulation.
You were not loading or unloading passengers - two minutes of sitting there hardly qualifies. You were parked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">