• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Handicapped Spot?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegallyChalengd

What is the name of your state? CA

I work in a small business park in Northern California and we have two handicapped spots near our building and I was wondering if there are any set rules that make a handicapped spot "legal?" I wasn't sure if there were any signage requirements or anything like that.

Occasionally some of the employees will park there and the HR administrator is threatening to call CHP if they do it again. There are no handicapped people in our business park, nor do we have customers or clients that visit our office. I don't really see a problem parking there and there are no signs posted in front of the spot so I'm not even sure they are enforcable handicap parking spots.

Thanks for the help.

justalayman

I work in a small business park in Northern California and we have two handicapped spots near our building and I was wondering if there are any set rules that make a handicapped spot "legal?" I wasn't sure if there were any signage requirements or anything like that.
Yes there are. I don;t know what they are off-hand. I'll head out to do some research but there are others that do know. Maybe they'll show up let us both know.

Occasionally some of the employees will park there and the HR administrator is threatening to call CHP if they do it again.
Good. If they are legal handicap spots, nobody without the proper documanetaion should be parking there.
There are no handicapped people in our business park, nor do we have customers or clients that visit our office
It makes no difference. Maybe one will get hired tomorrow. Maybe not. It doesn't matter.
I don't really see a problem parking there and there are no signs posted in front of the spot so I'm not even sure they are enforcable handicap parking spots.
Go ahead and park there. If they are in fact legal spots, I understand the fine to be substantial. Unless you have the appropriate permission, you should just simply not park there.

CdwJava

LegallyChalengd said:
Here (from the CVC):

22511.8. (a) Any local authority, by ordinance or resolution, and
any person in lawful possession of an offstreet parking facility may
designate stalls or spaces in an offstreet parking facility owned or
operated by the local authority or person for the exclusive use of
any vehicle which displays either a special license plate issued
pursuant to Section 5007 or a distinguishing placard issued pursuant
to Section 22511.55 or 22511.59. The designation shall be made by
posting a sign as described in paragraph (1), and by either of the
markings described in paragraph (2) or (3):
(1) By posting immediately adjacent to, and visible from, each
stall or space, a sign consisting of a profile view of a wheelchair
with occupant in white on a blue background.
(2) By outlining or painting the stall or space in blue and
outlining on the ground in the stall or space in white or suitable
contrasting color a profile view depicting a wheelchair with
occupant.
(3) By outlining a profile view of a wheelchair with occupant in
white on a blue background, of the same dimensions as in paragraph
(2). The profile view shall be located so that it is visible to a
traffic enforcement officer when a vehicle is properly parked in the
space.

So, the space needs a sign AND either the appropriate curb markings or symbol painted on the ground.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">