• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal location of front license plate, CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alcides

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Wow. I can't believe how quickly you folks answered my last post. Thanks!
I've got another one this time.

CVC5200: When two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

But they don't really establish what "attach" means, unless you look at CVC5201: License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

There's nothing in there that specifically says you must bolt your license plate to the front of your car. You could have the license INSIDE the car, attached to the dash or the window - even the sun visor! - and still be completely in compliance with CVC5201.

Why have the powers that be interpreted CVC5201 to mean the front license plate must be bolted to the front bumper?

S

seniorjudge

Alcides said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Wow. I can't believe how quickly you folks answered my last post. Thanks!
I've got another one this time.

CVC5200: When two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

But they don't really establish what "attach" means, unless you look at CVC5201: License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

There's nothing in there that specifically says you must bolt your license plate to the front of your car. You could have the license INSIDE the car, attached to the dash or the window - even the sun visor! - and still be completely in compliance with CVC5201.

Why have the powers that be interpreted CVC5201 to mean the front license plate must be bolted to the front bumper?

When I read all that stuff, it sure sounds to me like the tags have to be attached to the front.

What I am curious about is the 60 inches! That's five feet?! :confused:

Ca.

Front: The foremost part of a thing (vehicle) having it inside the car is in the
Middle: The position of being among or in the midst of something (vehicle)
Securely: Free from risk of loss.

My interpretation: Front license will be securely (any means) attached to the front bumper (front of vehicle) as high as you want on bumper (not over 60") and not less than 12". :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Alcides said:

Kinda hard to mount the plate so that it is "securely fastened" and visible when it's on your dashboard. And if you bolt it in to your dash, then it is NOT going to be clearly visible ... and then you have that nasty little violation of having something covering your license plate (the windshield).

Nope. It can't be tossed onto the dash.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">