• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for police officer to write false information on a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

The whole boyfriend issue is beyond petty to me, but it somehow comes into every interaction. I would have easily dropped that issue the day he walked out but it's another story when I'm at the pharmacy with my baby inside Stop & Shop.... Or getting coffee... and an officer randomly approaches, with questions about him. I'm just not one to beat a dead horse for 4 months but some people do.
I was not a cop for long, but one of my "training advisers" always talked to himself out loud as we were driving. Do you know what he said? He said the names of people he knew as he saw them. Even though he had been a cop in the city for decades, he still wanted to remember the names of those he came in contact with. This may surprise you, but, cops tend to come in contact with people who are related to a breaking of the law. Good ones remember those people. While a person who has never had contact with those who think the law is a suggestion rather than a rule may break the law, I might suggest they are statistically less likely to be a legal problem than those who hang out with those who have a...great sense of self entitlement.

You hung out with a criminal. From your post, it seems he is gone now. But, you hung out with him. You are associated with him in the cops' minds. As long as they follow the law, you have no argument. Over time, if you don't have the indicia of one who violates the law and don't hang out with hooligans any longer, perhaps they will tire of saying your name as they see you. That might take time.

Alex1119

First you said....

"while I got inside and get the information. Then a second officer arrives- I recognized him- and he said 'oh, I know you!', started to remind me that he is looking for my boyfriend still (as if I didn't know). He snatched my phone from the first officer, yelled at him saying 'never call her insurance company' and asked for my license, reg and ins card. Pointed to an envelope with my registration and old insurance card and said that would do. He didn't want to wait for me to go inside and get my actual updated card that I took from the glove compartment to make a call...."

Then you said,

"While I always keep a copy of insurance proof in my purse (in my wallet), he stated he didn't have time to wait for me to retrieve it from inside the house and preferred to take the envelope in my glove compartment which contained registration and insurance card (which expired Jan. 31) and the current up to date card was right there. Unfortunately the officer didn't want it."

What information did you go inside to get while the first officer was on the phone if not your licence and insurace that you said at first you removed from the glove compartment?

I find it amusing that you thought you might have had a collision when your mirror was gone... The officer could have also cited you for hit and run.

Okay, let me clarify.... After I arrived home, I brought my purse inside along with the updated copy of my insurance card that I removed from my glove compartment and called them to file a claim. I always keep one copy in my wallet (which remains in my purse), another in the glove compartment. I was parked in my garage, an officer arrives. I was on the phone with my insurance company already, the first officer just wanted to know what happened and then asked for my information. He was ready to wait for me to go inside and bring the insurance card out but wanted to speak with the person on the line to verify I formation in the meantime, and I said it was alright, passing him the phone.

It seemed under control, but a second officer arrived almost immediately, reminded me of a separate situation and scolded his partner. He assumed that he "called my insurance for me". I don't see that making much sense but I can't explain juvenile behavior. The second officer also told me that the other driver picked up the pieces of my mirror and gave it to him, who then disposed of it. My father, who was present, separately suggested that he would go there, take pictures of the scattered mirror, pick up the pieces and bring them to me (just in case). Unfortunately it was too late.
Also, I don't THINK my mirror came off, I saw and experienced it. I also took pictures, sent to insurance, as one is supposed to, but if I was the one who hit and ran, why would the other driver, his company and their insurance avoid the situation for a week and a half? I used to be a legal assistant for a personal injury/criminal lawyer. He will have some references this week but suggested in the meantime see what advice is available online, or try out a forum.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You making an issue about the time is probably going to get you nowhere.

The time on a traffic ticket or any other type of ticket is a "on or about". There is no need for the time to be exact.

Certainly ten minutes is a non-issue.

Alex1119

I was not a cop for long, but one of my "training advisers" always talked to himself out loud as we were driving. Do you know what he said? He said the names of people he knew as he saw them. Even though he had been a cop in the city for decades, he still wanted to remember the names of those he came in contact with. This may surprise you, but, cops tend to come in contact with people who are related to a breaking of the law. Good ones remember those people. While a person who has never had contact with those who think the law is a suggestion rather than a rule may break the law, I might suggest they are statistically less likely to be a legal problem than those who hang out with those who have a...great sense of self entitlement.

You hung out with a criminal. From your post, it seems he is gone now. But, you hung out with him. You are associated with him in the cops' minds. As long as they follow the law, you have no argument. Over time, if you don't have the indicia of one who violates the law and don't hang out with hooligans any longer, perhaps they will tire of saying your name as they see you. That might take time.
Thank you for this information, Tranquility. The officers actually don't know my name, they only know my address. As far as the crime, they had explained that it was him taking off and not able to speak with him that caused reasonable suspicion, and they ordered an arrest warrant. They come by if they need me to remind them of his name, which I find strange. He is Native American and his cultural regalia is "too strange", and he left on foot, not in a car. That, as well as leaving me and the baby, according to the police, was the criminal act. I already told them to find him online, since he is SAG-AFTRA employed. That would be easier than asking me. He is new to the acting industry and only has stunt & extra roles, he can be found online.

The officers that have been there for decades don't ever bother with me in a negative manner, just a handful of younger men in their 20's-30's. As well said many culturally discriminating remarks but I let that go. It's their right to do what they want.

As far as the accident/ticket was concerned, if I stayed right there and called the police, the officer who came to my home said he would've given me a ticket for CT statute 14-99 "driving without a mirror", despite the fact that the pieces were scattered in the road. I'm in the process of working with somebody on that, as it seemed to be more of a "pick a citation out of a hat" sort of game

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">