• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for police officer to write false information on a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex1119

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I was heading home from an appointment last week, and as I was driving up a hill on a back road, a truck crossed over the double yellow line while speeding down the hill after he went around a sharp bend and took off my driver's side mirror. I didn't consider it a "car accident" then because I didn't feel any impact. One lane of traffic each side, and this road is very dangerous to pull over on. I found a driveway to turn around in since I was hoping to find the truck, pulled into a small dirt pit, then turned back around (in a condo complex) after the truck had clearly left. I stopped for a few minutes behind a service vehicle from Frontier, waiting for traffic from the other side to pass and thinking somebody would get out of the Frontier truck and start putting cones down, since he was parked. Usually Comcast, Frontier, etc. only park on that road.

Anyways, I drove home- roughly 20 seconds away- and relieved my dad from watching my baby, told him I "think I may have" had a collision, he said call insurance before police and I did. The police have been harassing me since January over my boyfriend, even in public. Seconds later, an officer pulls into my driveway. My dad stayed. I was prepared to be interrogated about my boyfriend, but he just said he was called to go over and that the Frontier truck claimed I hit him. Since my insurance was on the phone he asked my permission to talk to them while I go I side and get the information. Then a second officer arrives- I recognized him- and he said "oh, I know you!", started to remind me that he is looking for my boyfriend still (as if I didn't know). He snatched my phone from the first officer, yelled at him saying "never call her insurance company" and asked for my license, reg and ins card. Pointed to an envelope with my registration and old insurance card and said that would do. He didn't want to wait for me to go inside and get my actual updated card that I took from the glove compartment to make a call but I was parked so I didn't think too much of it then. He issued me an infraction ticket with statute 14-13 (failure to carry insurance card and registration while driving on a public highway), unless I could tell him where my boyfriend was.

I noticed later he put the nearby street as to where he issued me the ticket, and the time was filled in as if he issued it 30 minutes before he truly did. The accident report also states that we interacted on that street, and that he did not pull up in my driveway... Which is where it was done. I have 2 witnesses, my fTher and my next door neighbor as well as the other officer. As far as the accident- I'm not concerned with advice, my insurance knows and said I am not at fault mostly based on the photos. The adjuster is still trying to get the other party to at least respond to them. And my boyfriend is no longer "my boyfriend" now. Once he abandoned baby and I, I moved on. (Just in case that comes up in anybody's mind.

My question is how can I prove this in court? It seems like a he said/ she said type of situation, but my goal is to prove to the judge that I was parked in my driveway when I was issued THAT ticket. Are witnesses good enough, or is there a way to track the patrol cars at a certain time location? Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, this is mainly a "traffic issue". Anything would help.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I was heading home from an appointment last week, and as I was driving up a hill on a back road, a truck crossed over the double yellow line while speeding down the hill after he went around a sharp bend and took off my driver's side mirror. I didn't consider it a "car accident" then because I didn't feel any impact. One lane of traffic each side, and this road is very dangerous to pull over on. I found a driveway to turn around in since I was hoping to find the truck, pulled into a small dirt pit, then turned back around (in a condo complex) after the truck had clearly left. I stopped for a few minutes behind a service vehicle from Frontier, waiting for traffic from the other side to pass and thinking somebody would get out of the Frontier truck and start putting cones down, since he was parked. Usually Comcast, Frontier, etc. only park on that road.

Anyways, I drove home- roughly 20 seconds away- and relieved my dad from watching my baby, told him I "think I may have" had a collision, he said call insurance before police and I did. The police have been harassing me since January over my boyfriend, even in public. Seconds later, an officer pulls into my driveway. My dad stayed. I was prepared to be interrogated about my boyfriend, but he just said he was called to go over and that the Frontier truck claimed I hit him. Since my insurance was on the phone he asked my permission to talk to them while I go I side and get the information. Then a second officer arrives- I recognized him- and he said "oh, I know you!", started to remind me that he is looking for my boyfriend still (as if I didn't know). He snatched my phone from the first officer, yelled at him saying "never call her insurance company" and asked for my license, reg and ins card. Pointed to an envelope with my registration and old insurance card and said that would do. He didn't want to wait for me to go inside and get my actual updated card that I took from the glove compartment to make a call but I was parked so I didn't think too much of it then. He issued me an infraction ticket with statute 14-13 (failure to carry insurance card and registration while driving on a public highway), unless I could tell him where my boyfriend was.

I noticed later he put the nearby street as to where he issued me the ticket, and the time was filled in as if he issued it 30 minutes before he truly did. The accident report also states that we interacted on that street, and that he did not pull up in my driveway... Which is where it was done. I have 2 witnesses, my fTher and my next door neighbor as well as the other officer. As far as the accident- I'm not concerned with advice, my insurance knows and said I am not at fault mostly based on the photos. The adjuster is still trying to get the other party to at least respond to them. And my boyfriend is no longer "my boyfriend" now. Once he abandoned baby and I, I moved on. (Just in case that comes up in anybody's mind.

My question is how can I prove this in court? It seems like a he said/ she said type of situation, but my goal is to prove to the judge that I was parked in my driveway when I was issued THAT ticket. Are witnesses good enough, or is there a way to track the patrol cars at a certain time location? Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, this is mainly a "traffic issue". Anything would help.
I suggest you contact an attorney.

FlyingRon

The ticket in your state is just a notice. Mistakes on it are not going to magically get you out of the offense. Even if the officer intentionally made statements he knew to be false, likely isn't going to be more than a procedural blip.

When two vehicles strike, it is an accident no matter how minor you feel it is. You have the duty to stop. The fact that you sustained damage to your car means it was more than just incidental contact (like if you tapped bumpers parking). Failure to stop when property damage has occurred (even your own vehicle) is a serious charge and even for a first offense can result in a year in jail.

As you were told, you need a lawyer. Your insurer will deal with the civil issue of who is liable for the damage, but YOU are on the hook for your crime.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't sound to me as if there are any "mistakes" on the ticket.

The time is accurate and you were driving at the time. It was issued based upon "information and belief".

Exactly what is your issue?

Just Blue

It doesn't sound to me as if there are any "mistakes" on the ticket.

The time is accurate and you were driving at the time. It was issued based upon "information and belief".

Exactly what is your issue?
Px Hx for this member is a must. Alex likes to "advise" other members despite the fact s/he has no clue to what it is talking about.

quincy

Because you appear to like books, you can read the book, "Beat Your Ticket - Go to Court & Win." It is a NOLO book written by David Brown, attorney. You might want to read it while waiting to see the attorney you hire.

Alex1119

The ticket in your state is just a notice. Mistakes on it are not going to magically get you out of the offense. Even if the officer intentionally made statements he knew to be false, likely isn't going to be more than a procedural blip.

When two vehicles strike, it is an accident no matter how minor you feel it is. You have the duty to stop. The fact that you sustained damage to your car means it was more than just incidental contact (like if you tapped bumpers parking). Failure to stop when property damage has occurred (even your own vehicle) is a serious charge and even for a first offense can result in a year in jail.

As you were told, you need a lawyer. Your insurer will deal with the civil issue of who is liable for the damage, but YOU are on the hook for your crime.
Thank you, although the car collision is well under control. Insurance is mainly handling that and the car is even being fixed. I only mentioned it because otherwise I would be asked why two officers randomly showed up, so it was more of an explanation of that.

The "complaint ticket", as well as months of harassment from my towns police department is the main issue. I was parked at home when the second officer issued it, he stated "tell me where your boyfriend is or accept a ticket". While I always keep a copy of insurance proof in my purse (in my wallet), he stated he didn't have time to wait for me to retrieve it from inside the house and preferred to take the envelope in my glove compartment which contained registration and insurance card (which expired Jan. 31) and the current up to date card was right there. Unfortunately the officer didn't want it.

My main concern is what sort of evidence do I need to argue this infraction in court? Witnesses, phone records that include my insurance being on the line with me? I've always been advised never use a lawyer with police officers. The police are always right no matter what.

Alex1119

Because you appear to like books, you can read the book, "Beat Your Ticket - Go to Court & Win." It is a NOLO book written by David Brown, attorney. You might want to read it while waiting to see the attorney you hire.
Thank you for the recommendation Quincy. I don't recall mentioning anything about books above, but I'll check it out

quincy

My main concern is what sort of evidence do I need to argue this infraction in court? Witnesses, phone records that include my insurance being on the line with me?
Your attorney can best advise you on this - although you can read the book I suggested, too.

I've always been advised never use a lawyer with police officers.
What a very odd thing to be advised. I think you should not listen to those particular advisors again.

The police are always right no matter what.
The police are always right unless they are wrong.

I recommend you see an attorney in your area.

Alex1119

What a very odd thing to be advised. I think you should not listen to those particular advisors again.

The police are always right unless they are wrong.

Those advisors were and are a handful of officers in my town's police department. I'll admit that the professional behavior of some have intimidated me to the point that if somebody broke into my house, I would only call my landlord and next door neighbor, but not the police. The whole boyfriend issue is beyond petty to me, but it somehow comes into every interaction. I would have easily dropped that issue the day he walked out but it's another story when I'm at the pharmacy with my baby inside Stop & Shop.... Or getting coffee... and an officer randomly approaches, with questions about him. I'm just not one to beat a dead horse for 4 months but some people do.

Alex1119

Argue what in court? You were not carrying a valid insurance card in your vehicle as required.
I plan to contest it. Most likely, I will find an attorney who handles traffic violations since the first officer that arrived was handling my insurance information until that second officer came and took over the situation. I was exiting a local Panera Bread about 10-15 minutes prior to the time written on the ticket. It takes about 10 minutes to get from Panera to the intersection before I turned on the street. I just remembered that. Also, I typically don't give advice on something unless I've worked with it or experienced it before. I can see where you come from while giving advice... I'm a moderator on a different site so I understand. I was just looking for resources in the meantime, thank you for the book recommendation, Quincy.

AdoptADog

First you said....

"while I go I side and get the information. Then a second officer arrives- I recognized him- and he said 'oh, I know you!', started to remind me that he is looking for my boyfriend still (as if I didn't know). He snatched my phone from the first officer, yelled at him saying 'never call her insurance company' and asked for my license, reg and ins card. Pointed to an envelope with my registration and old insurance card and said that would do. He didn't want to wait for me to go inside and get my actual updated card that I took from the glove compartment to make a call...."

Then you said,

"While I always keep a copy of insurance proof in my purse (in my wallet), he stated he didn't have time to wait for me to retrieve it from inside the house and preferred to take the envelope in my glove compartment which contained registration and insurance card (which expired Jan. 31) and the current up to date card was right there. Unfortunately the officer didn't want it."

What information did you go inside to get while the first officer was on the phone if not your licence and insurace that you said at first you removed from the glove compartment?

I find it amusing that you thought you might have had a collision when your mirror was gone... The officer could have also cited you for hit and run.

Just Blue

I plan to contest it. Most likely, I will find an attorney who handles traffic violations since the first officer that arrived was handling my insurance information until that second officer came and took over the situation. I was exiting a local Panera Bread about 10-15 minutes prior to the time written on the ticket. It takes about 10 minutes to get from Panera to the intersection before I turned on the street. I just remembered that. Also, I typically don't give advice on something unless I've worked with it or experienced it before. I can see where you come from while giving advice... I'm a moderator on a different site so I understand. I was just looking for resources in the meantime, thank you for the book recommendation, Quincy.
See post one to your thread...Very good advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">