• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The legality/definition of "customers only" parking spots (CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

empsystem

What is the name of your state? California.

I've several questions regarding ways of parking at customers only parking area. These are private property, usually in busy, crowded area, which is why those signs exist. Below are the types I think they are, and the ways I came up to park there without getting towed away legally.

A. General type of "parking space is reserved for customer only."
a. Purchase something from a store the plaza where the parking area is, and put the receipt somewhere visible on the car.
B. General + specific of "while on the shopping complex only."
b. Have the driver or the passenger on the complex, while the other goes elsewhere.
C. General + specific of "not for complex B. Complex B parking will be towed"
Not sure. Would a. or b. work here? I've never tried either of them, because I only need to shop at copmlex A.

Another question is for specific spaces in front of stores where the parking area has no sign or posting of customers only. Store A has a sign on the spaces in front of the store "for store A only." So is store B and store C. However, store D has no such sign. So my question is, can a non-store-D customer park in front of store D?

CdwJava

Private property can limit - or try to limit - parking in any manner they so choose. A business - with the consent of the property owner - can similarly "reserve" spaces for their specific business. What the various businesses can do about those parking in violation of the signs is actually quite limited.

If the property is appropriately signed (CVC 22650-22711 et seq - most notably 22658) then an improperly parked vehicle CAN be towed.

The expense and effort that would have to be expended to try and PROVE a car did not belong to a particular customer would be pretty extensive given the potential liability of an unlawful tow ... plus, the STORE does not have the authority to tow from the lot unless specifically granted that authority by the property owner or their representative. And I doubt that the owner of a mall or shopping center is going to want to adopt liability on the say so of an angry McDonald's manager.

You have too much time on your hands if you are seriously spending tiem and effort thinking about this stuff. Don't worry about it! Just park where you don't have to scheme! It's easy.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">