• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leniency with Handicapped parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJJim

New Jersey.

I really can't stand people that use handicapped parking when they aren't handicapped. And technically, I (who am perfectly able-bodied) parked in such a spot while I was taking my 93 year old aunt to the doctor. I needed to get her wheelchair out of the trunk and get her into the chair and up the sidewalk, so I used the closest spot.

Getting her into the office is not an easy task.

I was about to simply pay the ticket since I am guilty, but when I realized the ticket is $282 I gasped. This is a first offense, and I am hoping I can ask for a reduced fine, considering the circumstances.

Is this a reasonable approach? What would I need to convince the court of my situation? Would it be enough to show that she had an appointment at that time, and that she uses a wheel chair?

Thanks for the advice.

Jim in NJ

Happy Trails

NJJim said:
New Jersey.

I really can't stand people that use handicapped parking when they aren't handicapped. And technically, I (who am perfectly able-bodied) parked in such a spot while I was taking my 93 year old aunt to the doctor. I needed to get her wheelchair out of the trunk and get her into the chair and up the sidewalk, so I used the closest spot.

Getting her into the office is not an easy task.

I was about to simply pay the ticket since I am guilty, but when I realized the ticket is $282 I gasped. This is a first offense, and I am hoping I can ask for a reduced fine, considering the circumstances.

Is this a reasonable approach? What would I need to convince the court of my situation? Would it be enough to show that she had an appointment at that time, and that she uses a wheel chair?

Thanks for the advice.

Jim in NJ
Did she have a handicap placard?

If so, why didn't you use it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does your aunt have a valid placard?

Edit:
(umm...yeah, what Happy said ;) )

NJJim

She does not have a placard.

I was wrong to park there. But I'd like to think that the circumstances may lower the fine. Do they even do that?

And if I have a chance here, how would I approach this? Do I plead guilty and ask for mercy? Do I plead Not Guilty? Do I plead insanity?

thanks

Last edited:

The Occultist

There's only one "circumstance" that would fix this, and that's if you had a plate or placard properly displayed. If she is deserving of such a placard, then she needs to get one.

patstew

The Occultist said:
There's only one "circumstance" that would fix this, and that's if you had a plate or placard properly displayed. If she is deserving of such a placard, then she needs to get one.
The police department for which I work will take back an HC ticket retroactively if the eligible person gets a current valid HC permit. Call 'em and ask 'em.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">