• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License cancelled due to court fee (not as simple as it sounds)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

expert01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Background: About a year ago (February 2011) I was driving without insurance (totally my fault, couldn't afford it) and got pulled over. I took care of that and had to have an SR-22 on file with the DMV for (I think) 3 years, and I believe I had to get my license reinstated. Well, I let my insurance lapse again (my fault, couldn't afford it) last november, and got caught the day after the suspension (bad timing on my part, roommate lost the letter, but still my fault).

The second ticket is what I'm currently dealing with. That ticket was driving without insurance and expired registration without a valid driver's license. I took care of the registration, and the insurance, and I went through all the trouble of getting my license reinstated - I received my new license February 23rd.

I had a court date scheduled for March 2nd but accidentally put it in my calendar as March 22nd. I filed a motion to dismiss the warrant right after I found out, and it was approved on March 27th, with a new court date of April 13th. Well, on April 13th I had put on a nicer pair of pants and left my wallet in the other pair, so I didn't have my license with me as proof, so they told me to come back May 4th (this Friday).

Now, here's where my real problem is: apparently, when I had the warrant canceled on March 27th, they charged a $30 cancellation fee. I didn't receive any notice of this (verbally, in the mail, written, nothing). I even went and talked to the County Clerk about my case on April 13th (right after talking to the DA) and was then told there was a $30 fee from the warrant cancellation - however, they said nothing about having a deadline to pay by, they just told me to pay it before my final court date or anything I pay to the court will be applied to the warrant cancellation last, and that would cause my license to be canceled. I had decided to pay it this paycheck (on Wednesday, two days before my court date) to make sure it wouldn't be a problem.

However, yesterday (April 29th) I got pulled over again (impeding traffic while picking up a hitchhiker) and I was notified that my license was cancelled by the DMV on April 23rd. They physically took (kept) my license at this point and gave me a DR 2190 Proof of Service, and charged me with Driving Under Restraint (Cancel/Deny). Again, I had not received any notification, any letters, nothing saying I had to pay it by any date besides my final court date, and nothing about losing my license, except (again) that I had to pay it by the final court date.

When I went to my first court date (in December 2011) I signed (and have a copy of) an advisement form from the court that states at the bottom "Payment of all fines and costs are due by 4:30 on the day of sentencing", which is Friday.

The DMV is telling me I have to get a "Proof of Payment of OJW dated 4/23 or earlier" if I want to get my license back without waiting 30 days, and without paying another $100. However, I have not paid it and I don't imagine the court would falsify documents for me.

So, here's my question: since I was never notified of any earlier payment date, and since I was never notified my license would be cancelled/suspended/revoked, and since I was told by the courts that I had until 4:30 pm on the date of sentencing (which hasn't come yet),
(1) Was it truly valid for them to cancel my license,
(2) Is this somehow my fault? (I would have gladly paid the fine immediately, even if I had to borrow the money, if I had known that my license would have been suspended),
(3) Is there anything I can do to resolve this before my court appearance on Friday? (If I don't have my license then, they said any deals I've made with them are off the table)
(4) Is there any way to have the driving under revocation removed from this latest ticket?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Without commenting on your questions, I'd like to offer some advice for you going forward. Take public transportation. It'll go much better for you.

expert01

I did a bit more research on the issue.

From what I understand, 10 days after missing the March 2nd court date they (theoretically) told the DMV about it and issued and Outstanding Judgment/Warrant notification to the DMV. Then, 30 days before the April 23rd cancellation date, the DMV was supposed to send me a notice that my license would be canceled (which I never received).

I have a copy of the Motion I filed with the court to have the warrant dismissed and the date changed (filed March 27th), which has a note on it from the Judge saying "Warrant canvelled new date is 4/13/12 @ 8:00", and the Judge dated that 3/29/12.

If I go in and pay the $30 (Wednesday when I get paid, can I request a more official copy of this cancellation and take that and the receipt and other documentation to the DMV to have them undo the suspension without paying $100?

If I have that done successfully, can I use that information to have the Driving under Suspension/Revocation/Canceled from my ticket from Sunday?

Last, is there any way to request "proof" from the DMV that a letter was sent to me notifying me of this, and if they don't have any, would that help me in any way? Are they required to have proof (e.g. notice of delivery, signature confirmation, etc.) for letters like that?

Will they cut me a break since I paid to have my license reinstated 60 days before it was canceled, given all the other information?

ecmst12

First, you have screwed things up beyond recognition and need a lawyer.

Second, don't you think it would have been MUCH cheaper to just pay your insurance bill when it was due rather than going through all these fines and costs?

expert01

First, you have screwed things up beyond recognition and need a lawyer.

Second, don't you think it would have been MUCH cheaper to just pay your insurance bill when it was due rather than going through all these fines and costs?
Thank you for the sound advice.

I believe you are correct, and I should severely compound my financial issues by hiring an expensive lawyer.

Seriously though. I had to choose between having a roof over my head or insurance; eating for a week or insurance. I chose to take the risk because there was absolutely no way I could afford it at the time. I only have a few bills (rent, electric, gas, insurance, food) and I work 40 hours a week - it's not as if I'm not trying to get money, my field has just been hit hard. I don't do anything socially besides go to work and go home - I don't go to the movies, I don't eat out, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't have TV or Internet (except basic internet through my phone).

Worst case scenario: I have $1000 in fines (which they will work with me to pay), and I have to pay the DMV another $100 to get my license back. From what I've found I shouldn't (realistically) face any jail time for either ticket.

aldaron

OP driving under restraint is a criminal matter, that should be your focus plus if your convicted of that you'll lose your dl for at least a year.

Zigner

I guess the choice of not driving until it was legal to do so never really entered your mind, huh?

FlyingRon

Thank you for the sound advice.

I believe you are correct, and I should severely compound my financial issues by hiring an expensive lawyer.

Seriously though. I had to choose between having a roof over my head or insurance; eating for a week or insurance. I chose to take the risk because there was absolutely no way I could afford it at the time.
Just because you don't understand the necessity to have insurance doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's one of the costs of driving, as much as affording gasoline. By you're argument, you could steal gasoline because you'd rather drive illegally than obey the law.

expert01

Thank you all for your worthless advice, your derision, your attempts to terrify me, and your complete lack of assistance. If I had listened to you I would be in a lot of debt right now and no better off. I can tell this is a truly valuable community /sarcasm

My fines on the current ticket ended up being $350. I already have my license back, and I expect my next ticket to go as smoothly.

Thanks for not helping.

Except for aldaron - you actually gave me some sort of advice, instead of insulting me, arguing with me, accusing me, and being a smartass. If you other guys are lawyers, I would be surprised that you manage to find clients.

Last edited:

Zigner

Thank you all for your worthless advice, your derision, your attempts to terrify me, and your complete lack of assistance. If I had listened to you I would be in a lot of debt right now and no better off. I can tell this is a truly valuable community /sarcasm

My fines on the current ticket ended up being $350. I already have my license back, and I expect my next ticket to go as smoothly.

Thanks for not helping.
You're quite welcome. Glad to be of service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">