• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License plate light violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xcleex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was recently given a ticket by an officer due to license plate lights that was inadequate. I had it corrected and checked by an officer who signed the form that came with the ticket. From what the officer (who gave me the ticket) told me, there's no fine or points as long as I get it fixed and checked as soon as possible. I don't see anywhere in the ticket about the price (previously, when I received a ticket for tinted window, there was a price that was checked off on the ticket). Before I mail it off, I am wondering if I should sign under plea guilty or plea not guilty. In some forums, for similar correctable violations, some people say sign under guilty because a law was broken and pay the fine, while others say sign under not guilty because you have proof of correction by an officer within 24hr period along with the receipt from the store.

I am divided as to where I should sign. Reading the ticket, it sounds like there will be a fine that will be mailed to me if I check guilty. On the other hand, by checking not guilty, descriptions made it seem as if I MUST show up to the court because the court will send me an appearance date by first class mail. What did the officer meant by being able to get this cleared by fixing it and getting it inspected? Where am I suppose to sign?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, that is a correctable equipment violation.

First of all make photocopies of your ticket and the statement of correction you had signed.

You would enter a not guilty plea and then mail the ticket into the court (or drop it off in person if that is convenient) along with the statement of correction. The ticket should then be dismissed. You should follow up with the court to make sure this was done.

New York State traffic tickets do not have check off boxes for fine amounts so I don't know what you're talking about there. Tickets issued in New York City have fines for some violations listed on the back but that's about it. What court does your ticket have to be mailed back to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">