• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life jacket ticket - Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dingjing

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post my case. If not, please tell me which one is the best.

I rented a canoe with 2 life jackets. I asked the guy how many people can sit in the canoe. He said 4. So we had 4 people in the canoe. Then I got a citation for not having enough personal floating devices. What is my best defense?

Jing
Ohio

Justice For All

Were there any signs or papers mentioning you must have a life jacket? If not, you had no knowledge of it. I'm not saying it is a for sure win, just the best defense I can think of.

efflandt

There is no defense. I do not know anywhere that does not require a personal floatation device for every person onboard (whether anyone is required to wear them may depend upon age, type of watercraft, or what they are doing, like whitewater rafting or water skiing). Did you tell the party you were renting from that you were actually going to have 4 people aboard?

See http://www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft/opsguide/ohiovr2.htm

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Justice For All said:
Were there any signs or papers mentioning you must have a life jacket? If not, you had no knowledge of it. I'm not saying it is a for sure win, just the best defense I can think of.
Ignorance is NOT a defense. People are expected to know the laws guiding whatever activity they are engaging in.

BelizeBreeze

dingjing said:
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post my case. If not, please tell me which one is the best.

I rented a canoe with 2 life jackets. I asked the guy how many people can sit in the canoe. He said 4. So we had 4 people in the canoe. Then I got a citation for not having enough personal floating devices. What is my best defense?

Jing
Ohio
That you were too stupid to ask for two more flotation devices.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">