• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loitering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amylee333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

Do I need to get a lawyer? My husband & I were given loitering tickets for pulling over in a church parking lot to calm our crying baby down. It was a constable that gave us the tickets and he was right behind us when we pulled in so we werent there for a min. before he blue lighted us. He harassed us and accused us of having "something" in our car. He yelled at us the whole time for no reason whats so ever. Afterwards he called my grandmother and said we were lying about everything we said! Can I fight this in court by myself or should I get a lawyer since it will be his word against ours?

Also, he put this as traffic offense on the ticket, why is that?

Last edited:

amylee333

There wasn't a code. he just wrote "loitering" on the tickets. It's a small town where everyone knows everyone & I guess he just thought my grandmother needed to know about it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There should be a section of law written on the ticket so you know what statute you are charged with.

There should be a section of law written on the ticket so you know what statute you are charged with.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis01 View Post
The ticket itself says nothing about a "statue charged"
Of course it doesn't. Statues have nothing to do with this situation. The Captain is trying to give legal advice yet doesn't even understand the basics apparently.

WHAT??? Then you post this????? hahahahaha

To the OP: you were not loitering ... cops is goofy

OHRoadwarrior

Sigh... AR again.

Offer to let him borrow hubbies fishing boat and tell him you'll show him where the big cat are, if he'll void the ticket.

J/K

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis01 View Post
The ticket itself says nothing about a "statue charged"
Of course it doesn't. Statues have nothing to do with this situation. The Captain is trying to give legal advice yet doesn't even understand the basics apparently.

WHAT??? Then you post this????? hahahahaha

To the OP: you were not loitering ... cops is goofy
And you obviously cannot read either.

amylee333

Haha.. I know this won't help the hillbilly redneck Arkansas stereotype.. but my dad was his welding teacher in votech & he was mad so he went to go talk to the constable. The constable said he didn't know who I was until after he wrote the tickets. First, what would make him know who I was AFTER he already knew my name, ect. Second, what should it matter who I am when we weren't doing anything wrong. He claimed he couldn't do anything but go to court with us to get the fines lowered. We're not paying any fines cause we're not guilty.

Sigh... AR again.

Offer to let him borrow hubbies fishing boat and tell him you'll show him where the big cat are, if he'll void the ticket.

J/K

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Haha.. I know this won't help the hillbilly redneck Arkansas stereotype.. but my dad was his welding teacher in votech & he was mad so he went to go talk to the constable. The constable said he didn't know who I was until after he wrote the tickets. First, what would make him know who I was AFTER he already knew my name, ect. Second, what should it matter who I am when we weren't doing anything wrong. He claimed he couldn't do anything but go to court with us to get the fines lowered. We're not paying any fines cause we're not guilty.
So, when the court rules that you ARE guilty, you'll pay the fines? Legally, you'll be guilty then and, being such a law-abiding citizen, it won't be a problem, right?

OHRoadwarrior

I am not trying to interfere in local politics, however if the constable finds himself occupied elsewhere, you may get a dismissal.

amylee333

So, when the court rules that you ARE guilty, you'll pay the fines? Legally, you'll be guilty then and, being such a law-abiding citizen, it won't be a problem, right?
Well that's why I asked the first question. Do I need a lawyer to fight this. Neither me or my husband have any past record, not even traffic tickets. We don't fully understand what we're going to have to do to fight this. If the court does rule that we are guilty, yes we'll pay.

OHRoadwarrior

You need to figure out the statute you were charged with and determine if you can create doubt as to its validity. A lawyer would be helpful in your case. I believe you are facing a class C misdemeanor.

amylee333

It has a place where he was supposed to write it, but he didn't. Do I need to contact the police station to find out?
You need to figure out the statute you were charged with and determine if you can create doubt as to its validity. A lawyer would be helpful in your case. I believe you are facing a class C misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">