• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Island expired registration ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just received a expired registration ticket tonight when I got to my car after work. The car expired at the end of July. My wife got the registration on June 23rd (and gave it to me) and I thought I placed it on the car but I did not. It must have fallen out of my backpack in the trunk. I have the registration that shows we got it on June 23rd.

My questions:
1) If I plead not guilty, see a judge and prove that we had it registered but didn't put the sticker on - could the fine be reduced?
2) If I pay the ticket and plead guilty, the bottom of the ticket says "A plea of guilty to this charge is equivalent to a conviction after trial. If you are convicted, not only will you be liable to a penalty, but in addition your license to drive a motor vehicle, and your cert of registration are subject to suspension and revocation as prescribed by law". Can they really take my license and registration away?

I have never been in trouble with the law so this is a little worrisome.

Also, I did put the registration sticker on the car but can they continue to give me tickets every day if I didn't?

Thanks again for help.

Banned_Princess

I just received a expired registration ticket tonight when I got to my car after work. The car expired at the end of July. My wife got the registration on June 23rd (and gave it to me) and I thought I placed it on the car but I did not. It must have fallen out of my backpack in the trunk. I have the registration that shows we got it on June 23rd.

My questions:
1) If I plead not guilty, see a judge and prove that we had it registered but didn't put the sticker on - could the fine be reduced?
2) If I pay the ticket and plead guilty, the bottom of the ticket says "A plea of guilty to this charge is equivalent to a conviction after trial. If you are convicted, not only will you be liable to a penalty, but in addition your license to drive a motor vehicle, and your cert of registration are subject to suspension and revocation as prescribed by law". Can they really take my license and registration away?

Also, I did put the registration sticker on the car but can they continue to give me tickets every day if I didn't?

Thanks again for help.
Bring your registration to court with you, the ticket will be dismissed.

If you tell me which county you are in, and what court you must appear at, I could probably walk you right through this. Its really no problem whatsoever.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

My questions:
bring your reg to court, and your ticket will be dismissed, its not a big deal.

Never mind that, your ticket is going to be dismissed.

you are not in trouble now.

Thanks again for help.
yes, if your car reg is suspended or expired, they could actually tow your car if they so choose.

Gotta be careful when parking at a train station, which I assume you were, because they gave you a ticket based on your sticker, and not running your plates.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I just received a expired registration ticket tonight when I got to my car after work.
Is this a parking ticket? If so you posted the question in the wrong place.

The registration receipt shows the date that it is effective, that should be enough to get the ticket dismissed. I wouldn't worry about telling any judge that you didn't put your new sticker on the windshield because that is an offense also.

HighwayMan

...ticket says "A plea of guilty to this charge is equivalent to a conviction after trial. If you are convicted, not only will you be liable to a penalty, but in addition your license to drive a motor vehicle, and your cert of registration are subject to suspension and revocation as prescribed by law".
That is the wording on a traffic ticket. What kind of ticket IS this and exactly where did you get it? "Long Island" is too broad an answer in this case.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

That is the wording on a traffic ticket. What kind of ticket IS this and exactly where did you get it? "Long Island" is too broad and answer in this case.
This is exactly what my tickets say, and I have just dismissed a suspended reg ticket. Less then 2 minutes once called up, "yes your honor, I have my current registration right here." show to DA,DA:" This Registration is valid and effective before the ticket" Your Honor"Dismissed".

And long island is all of two counties.

scottv

Yes, it was at the parking lot at the LIRR train station. I live in nassau county and as I have never had a ticket so I am unsure what different types they are. This one simply says Ticket Number/Appearance Ticket.

Banned_Princess

Yes, it was at the parking lot at the LIRR train station. I live in nassau county and as I have never had a ticket so I am unsure what different types they are. This one simply says Ticket Number/Appearance Ticket.
Yes sir, on your appearance date you will go to the court that is listed on the ticket, bring your registration and find out what court room you need to be in on the calender.

You will be called in front of the judge, he will read your public reading, you will say, I have my registration here, which is dated before the ticket.

Your ticket will be dismissed, don't be nervous. Your biggest problem will be where to park.

Banned_Princess

Eh, I thought about it and I'm afraid I am going to have to disagree, I am totally everyday awsome.

You didn't even think his ticket said what it says, feeling like our tiny two counties are too big to guess at.

Also Mr "Holier then thou", I don't believe I'm the only one that may occasionally be wrong in our assumptions of situations....

You must give props where props are due, and you know they are due here.

:rolleyes:

HighwayMan

Eh, I thought about it and I'm afraid I am going to have to disagree, I am totally everyday awsome [SIC].
Yeah. Especially you're spelling.

You didn't even think his ticket said what it says
Whatever THAT means. There are MANY different ticket issuing and adjudicating authorities in Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Also Mr "Holier then thou", I don't believe I'm the only one that may occasionally be wrong in our assumptions of situations....
Everyone is wrong once in a while. My opinion is that you're wrong more than most.

You must give props where props are due, and you know they are due here.
I know no such thing. I don't even know what a "prop" is supposed to be besides a slang term for propeller. :rolleyes:

You can respond however you'd like, IF you'd like, but I'm done with this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">