• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Los Angeles Parking tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rck211

I'm in Los Angeles,CA. I received 4 parking tickets in error. I had been using the cities approved park mobile app for their meters. I have emails stating that all meters were paid in full. 2 of the tickets they dismissed. They said they were investigating the other 2. I heard back from them in a letter stating I owe the $$ and it is late so I was charged a fee a double fines. With the threat of suspending my license I paid the fees! $344!!! They are now telling me that I no longer have the right to a hearing because the time has passed. What are my options?! I need help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in Los Angeles,CA. I received 4 parking tickets in error. I had been using the cities approved park mobile app for their meters. I have emails stating that all meters were paid in full. 2 of the tickets they dismissed. They said they were investigating the other 2. I heard back from them in a letter stating I owe the $$ and it is late so I was charged a fee a double fines. With the threat of suspending my license I paid the fees! $344!!! They are now telling me that I no longer have the right to a hearing because the time has passed. What are my options?! I need help!
You should have challenged the tickets (as opposed to just calling them). You aren't getting the $344 back.

CdwJava

Since these were parking cites, your license was never at risk ... though, they could have placed a lien on your vehicle registration so you would have had to pay them at some point.

The time to challenge parking cites is as soon as you are aware of them, not later. About all you can do now is work your way up the food chain at whatever agency issued the parking cites and handles the hearings and pray that someone will provide you with a hearing on the matter.

Zigner

Since these were parking cites, your license was never at risk ... though, they could have placed a lien on your vehicle registration so you would have had to pay them at some point.

The time to challenge parking cites is as soon as you are aware of them, not later. About all you can do now is work your way up the food chain at whatever agency issued the parking cites and handles the hearings and pray that someone will provide you with a hearing on the matter.
The OP didn't follow the proper procedure to get a hearing. The OP has already admitted "guilt" by paying for the tickets. The city isn't going to allow a hearing at this point.

CdwJava

The OP didn't follow the proper procedure to get a hearing. The OP has already admitted "guilt" by paying for the tickets. The city isn't going to allow a hearing at this point.
The hearing process can be a very informal thing, depending on the agency involved. Unlike the rules of court, these are set mostly as a matter of policy and not law. It is POSSIBLE to still get a hearing, though certainly not likely especially when dealing with a large bureaucracy.

Zigner

...depending on the agency involved.
The reason I answered as I did is BECAUSE of the agency involved ;)

...though certainly not likely especially when dealing with a large bureaucracy.
That ain't the half of it. The OP isn't going to get a hearing with the folks in L.A. at this point.

CdwJava

That depends on which agency in LA County issued the parking cites. There are several agencies within the county and all the cities that issue parking cites. And they do not all have identical procedures.

While I agree that a hearing is unlikely, the OP loses nothing by trying to work their way up the food chain to see if there may be some appeals process or individual who can help them. I was a hearing officer for 14 years and can say from experience that it can happen.

Zigner

That depends on which agency in LA County issued the parking cites. There are several agencies within the county and all the cities that issue parking cites. And they do not all have identical procedures.

While I agree that a hearing is unlikely, the OP loses nothing by trying to work their way up the food chain to see if there may be some appeals process or individual who can help them. I was a hearing officer for 14 years and can say from experience that it can happen.
The OP is talking about Los Angeles, CA - the city, not the county.

CdwJava

The OP is talking about Los Angeles, CA - the city, not the county.
I don't know about you, but I hear a great many people speak of LA in the most generic term possible. Sometimes it is not LA proper, but a city in the county ... there are also more than one authority/agency authorized to issue parking cites within the city and the county, so it really does depend on who issued the parking cite and where.

Again, he loses nothing by calling and asking. What's to lose besides a few minutes.

Zigner

I don't know about you, but I hear a great many people speak of LA in the most generic term possible. Sometimes it is not LA proper, but a city in the county ... there are also more than one authority/agency authorized to issue parking cites within the city and the county, so it really does depend on who issued the parking cite and where.

Again, he loses nothing by calling and asking. What's to lose besides a few minutes.
Carl - he said he is in Los Angeles, CA. If I address a letter to an address in Los Angeles, CA, the post office sends it straight to the city of Los Angeles. He's in Los Angeles City. He's NOT going to get another shot at the hearing.

ETA: I agree that it can't hurt to call...but it's not going to help either.

CdwJava

<sigh> Being IN the city of Los Angeles does NOT MEAN that the parking cite was issued by the Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau! There are numerous agencies within the city that can issue parking cites, and they are heard by differing bodies. In point of fact, *I* could be assigned down there in my current job and I could issue a parking cite for the LA City Parking Code within my jurisdiction within the city of Los Angeles and it would NOT be heard by the LAPVB. The point is that the OP has not said who issued the ticket and who he has appealed it to ... it could be the LAPVB - and probably is. But, all because it is in the city of L.A. does not mean that it was issued by them, thus it may be heard by someone else.

Zigner

<sigh> Being IN the city of Los Angeles does NOT MEAN that the parking cite was issued by the Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau! There are numerous agencies within the city that can issue parking cites, and they are heard by differing bodies. In point of fact, *I* could be assigned down there in my current job and I could issue a parking cite for the LA City Parking Code within my jurisdiction within the city of Los Angeles and it would NOT be heard by the LAPVB. The point is that the OP has not said who issued the ticket and who he has appealed it to ... it could be the LAPVB - and probably is. But, all because it is in the city of L.A. does not mean that it was issued by them, thus it may be heard by someone else.
Carl - this was a cite issued for a parking meter violation IN the city of Los Angeles. It was issued by the LAPVB.

Furthermore, if this went far enough to have increased to $300+ for two tickets, then it's far beyond the stage where a hearing is allowed. This OP is NOT getting a hearing.

CdwJava

Carl - this was a cite issued for a parking meter violation IN the city of Los Angeles. It was issued by the LAPVB.
Maybe. But, there are other agencies that run parking meters within the city limits of L.A. that are not affiliated with the LAPVB. The city is a patchwork of law enforcement and pseudo law enforcement agencies. I can't tell you the number of times people have come here and said they were cited in the city of L.A. and then it turned out it was not.

If the OP would post back, that would clear it up. But, it still would not hurt to plea one's way up the ladder because while unlikely it is possible to get a new hearing on a parking cite matter.

Furthermore, if this went far enough to have increased to $300+ for two tickets, then it's far beyond the stage where a hearing is allowed. This OP is NOT getting a hearing.
I beg to differ ... I have seen parking cites appealed and won after imposed fines, depending on the circumstances. And if he has proof he paid for the meters through whatever process he is talking about (and that may be a wholly LAPVB meter payment system) then it is even more possible that he might get a new hearing on the matter if he speaks with the right person. If they screwed up, they just might correct it. Yeah, it's harder when one does not avail themselves of the process that is in place, but it is not impossible - especially with parking tickets as they are civil and not criminal matters and can be handled in a more hand wavy matter.

Zigner

Maybe. But, there are other agencies that run parking meters within the city limits of L.A. that are not affiliated with the LAPVB. The city is a patchwork of law enforcement and pseudo law enforcement agencies. I can't tell you the number of times people have come here and said they were cited in the city of L.A. and then it turned out it was not.

If the OP would post back, that would clear it up. But, it still would not hurt to plea one's way up the ladder because while unlikely it is possible to get a new hearing on a parking cite matter.

I beg to differ ... I have seen parking cites appealed and won after imposed fines, depending on the circumstances. And if he has proof he paid for the meters through whatever process he is talking about (and that may be a wholly LAPVB meter payment system) then it is even more possible that he might get a new hearing on the matter if he speaks with the right person. If they screwed up, they just might correct it. Yeah, it's harder when one does not avail themselves of the process that is in place, but it is not impossible - especially with parking tickets as they are civil and not criminal matters and can be handled in a more hand wavy matter.
Ok, fair enough that it's not going to hurt for the OP to ask. You and I are of differing opinions on the likelihood of success, and I'm ok with that :)

FlyingRon

ParkMobile is indeed used by several jurisdictions in LA County including LA City but also Long Beach, Santa Monica, and Redondo Beach. ParkMobile is an independent entity (i.e., despite the poster's assertion it is not the "city's parkmobile app."). ParkMobile won't get involved in the violations, they just refer customers who get a ticket after getting duped by their system to the issuing municipality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">