• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mailed ticket / Fire Lane 22500

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenj80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Received a ticket by mail stating "drive off". The ticket was listed as 22500, fire lane violation. At first didn't even think it was for me since I hadn't had any run ins with police or parking enforcement.
Realized it had to be from a supermarket trip. I had dropped my husband at the market, he was picking up one item. I did one parking lot loop, returned to the curb, car was running entire time, hazard lights on, he exited the store about two minutes later, and we left. Do I have any legal foot to stand on with contesting? Never even saw or spoke to issuing officer?

CdwJava

What was the EXACT section cited on the parking cite?

I suspect it might be this one:

22500.1. In addition to Section 22500, no person shall stop, park,
or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended
, except
when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance
with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control
device along the edge of any highway, at any curb, or in any location
in a publicly or privately owned or operated off-street parking
facility, designated as a fire lane by the fire department or fire
district with jurisdiction over the area in which the place is
located.
The designation shall be indicated (1) by a sign posted
immediately adjacent to, and visible from, the designated place
clearly stating in letters not less than one inch in height that the
place is a fire lane, (2) by outlining or painting the place in red
and, in contrasting color, marking the place with the words "FIRE
LANE", which are clearly visible from a vehicle, or (3) by a red curb
or red paint on the edge of the roadway upon which is clearly marked
the words "FIRE LANE".​

If so, then there really appears to be no defense. Stopping or standing with your hazards flashing does not absolve you of liability here.

Jenj80

Damn, had a feeling I was done for, I'm going to run by and check for signage, curb, etc; think it's a done deal though, thank you.

Jenj80

Im not complaining about the actual answer of which you had no part in. I'm stating condescension under the guise of being "helpful" is rude. There was nothing to read between the lines. People come to this site for actual advice, like Cdw offered, not to be patronized with sarcastic remarks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Im not complaining about the actual answer of which you had no part in. I'm stating condescension under the guise of being "helpful" is rude. There was nothing to read between the lines. People come to this site for actual advice, like Cdw offered, not to be patronized with sarcastic remarks.
Let me be blunt, both for you in the future and for those who may have made the same error that you did.

When you park illegally with your hazards on, you draw attention to yourself. You make it EASIER to see you, thus more likely for you to be ticketed for the illegal activity that you are knowingly engaging in.

Jenj80

Let me be blunt, both for you in the future and for those who may have made the same error that you did.

When you park illegally with your hazards on, you draw attention to yourself. You make it EASIER to see you, thus more likely for you to be ticketed for the illegal activity that you are knowingly engaging in.
See, advice without ridicule is actually helpful. As for knowingly engaging in illegal activity, I was actually unaware if California had a no stopping vs no standing (parked) law. I actually thought if I was in the car and it was running and therefore could move at the direction of an officer it may be legal. Hence the question on here.

Zigner

See, advice without ridicule is actually helpful. As for knowingly engaging in illegal activity, I was actually unaware if California had a no stopping vs no standing (parked) law. I actually thought if I was in the car and it was running and therefore could move at the direction of an officer it may be legal. Hence the question on here.
If you are licensed, then you are expected to know basic information such as that.

ETA: Not that it matters, because California law for fire lanes, as pointed out above, doesn't allow stopping or standing.

Jenj80

If you are licensed, then you are expected to know basic information such as that.

ETA: Not that it matters, because California law for fire lanes, as pointed out above, doesn't allow stopping or standing.
I'm aware those licensed accept responsibility of knowing the laws that apply, and I accept my mistake, once again I simply needed clarification. Ironically if everyone was so well versed on the law you wouldn't have a forum to offer all your stellar "expertise".

Zigner

I'm aware those licensed accept responsibility of knowing the laws that apply, and I accept my mistake, once again I simply needed clarification. Ironically if everyone was so well versed on the law you wouldn't have a forum to offer all your stellar "expertise".
Good Lord - we're not talking about some obscure part of a rarely used law... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">