• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland licenses suspended in from VA Transurban toll violations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlisom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I have 8 toll violation from two periods in 2013. They were separate six day and ten day periods in which my EZ-PASS account didnt replenish due to banking issues. I was not aware of the issue until I received the notice in the mail and subsequently corrected the issue. I got a lawyer and fought, but lost. The settlement they proposed was over two thousand dollars which I still thought was unacceptable. My lawyer advised me since I lived in Maryland and the violations where in VA it all boiled down to a civil matter. He advised they may sue you for the money and would probably win, but criminally they are SOL.

Buuuut...... Yesterday I would pull over by a Fairfax County police officer who advised me that my licenses was suspended and was promptly given a ticket and court date. She advised she showed in her computer Maryland suspended my licenses due to the VA toll violations. She said as far as she could tell I was suspended in Maryland, Virginia and everywhere else.

The traffic stop occurred because the officer said when she ran my plates it showed the registered driver had a suspended licenses and that I fit the description of the licensed driver. This was at 11:30PM at night on a dimly lit road. I'm not challenging the probably cause for the stop just wanted to add that there was no associated moving violation I was ticketed for and that my driving record in Maryland and Virginia is completely clean other than for the toll violations.

My question:

1) Can Virginia request that my Maryland licenses be suspended over tolls violations?
2) If so, am I only suspended in Virginia or everywhere including Maryland?
3) If the officer was infact incorrect will the judge dismiss the charges and restore my driving privileges wherever they have been falsely suspended.

OHRoadwarrior

1. Yes, through the ?Interstate Drivers License Compact.
2. Everywhere you could have driven on that license.
3.As soon as you pay the tolls.

justalayman

Wisconsin, Tennessee, Georgia, Massachusetts, and Michigan
those are the 4 states that do not belong to the IDLC. The remaining states will suspend your driving privileges within their state upon a suspension in any of the other 45 states.

the problem; all states belong to the National Driver Register.

While the 4 states mentioned will not suspend your driving privileges simply due to the issue, since your home state privileges are suspended, that can be discovered and you would be ticketed for driving with a suspended license. They may not discover it but it is available.

3) If the officer was infact incorrect will the judge dismiss the charges and restore my driving privileges wherever they have been falsely suspended.
why do you say your privileges were falsely suspended? Due to the IDLC, when one member state suspends your privileges, the rest of the member states will suspend your privileges and that is exactly what is happening. There is nothing incorrect happening here.

The settlement they proposed was over two thousand dollars which I still thought was unacceptable
in retrospect, if you had known you would absolutely be prohibited from driving in 45 states, is it still unacceptable?

The traffic stop occurred because the officer said when she ran my plates it showed the registered driver had a suspended licenses and that I fit the description of the licensed driver. This was at 11:30PM at night on a dimly lit road. I'm not challenging the probably cause for the stop just wanted to add that there was no associated moving violation I was ticketed for and that my driving record in Maryland and Virginia is completely clean other than for the toll violations.
it is not clean though and the violations involved allow for a suspension of your license. The stop was a good stop.

jlisom

Update from OP

I just found out from the Fairfax County Court Clerk via my lawyer that NO Virginia DMV is not suppose to suspend licenses over toll lane violations. My lawyer made a call and Virginia removed my flag from the Interstate database. My privileges should be restored in Maryland 24-48 hours. It is a shame that I had to get a lawyer involved as I was getting bounced back and forth from the court to the dmv. Apparently the court clerks office is trying to resolve multiple instances where the dmv suspended licenses when they were not suppose to.

My attorney indicated that since my licenses should have never been suspended and I was unaware of the suspension in the first place he is filing a motion to dismiss which he feels will be honored. I will keep everyone updated.

I understand many of those that have responded meant to help, but many of the comments were totally incorrect. If you are looking for advice on this site please keep this in mind.

justalayman

No, the advice you were given was not incorrect. Any state can suspend your license based upon situations in another state. Not a thing incorrect about that

Coming here and saying the suspension was innapropriate is a different discussion altogether.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">