• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts - No possession of license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctstemp

Massachusetts
Hi - Sorry if it seems repeated. I couldnt find an answer.

I was driving the kids to class & forgot to take my wallet. I have an clean record for over 15yrs in MA. The cop stopped me saying my break lights werent working right. The car was serviced just before two days. He said probably the fuse might have gone. He asked for license, then took my name & DOB and came back with a citation for 40$. he said I should drive the rest of the way with the blinkers on . He said I can choose to pay or contest. I am not sure what to do. The lights were fixed that evening .
Can anyone please suggest whats better? I dont want this black dot in my insurance. I have had NO citations before.
Any suggestions?

Thanks - CTS

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A brake light out and driving with no license in one's possession are considered moving violations??

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, that's kind of screwy.

I would assume though that the insurance company assigns severity to violations in their own way and not the way the MA RMV does.

ctstemp

Hi
It says on the Citation "License not in possession". My inspection sticker was valid.
The reason he stopped was because he said the brake light wasnt working. But for that he suggested I take a look at the fuse. There is NO mention about brake light in the citation.

I had forgotten my wallet & so did not have the license with me.
Some online forum suggest that If I go to the court and show that my license is valid, it will be waived off & cancelled. I have a clean record. will that help?

Thanks

davew128

Well, that's kind of screwy.

I would assume though that the insurance company assigns severity to violations in their own way and not the way the MA RMV does.
In MA everything is standardized through the state insurance bureau for SDIP. Its not up to the insurance companies, as the surcharge percentage will be the same for any insurer.

ctstemp

In MA everything is standardized through the state insurance bureau for SDIP. Its not up to the insurance companies, as the surcharge percentage will be the same for any insurer.
Hi - Is it better to contest or pay the citation? I am confused as to what is best. In my mind, I think since I have a valid license & the inspection is also valid, it is just that I forgot to take the license once & the cop stops me for brake lights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">