• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed fix it ticket deadline by 1 day.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayOneGuy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, CA.

I was unfortunate to not be able to get to the courthouse due to traffic from the LAX area and I missed them today. It was a basic fix it ticket (tail light) If I show up early tomorrow to take care of it, do you think there will be any "good will" towards my situation? I had full intentions of getting there but work and traffic got me pretty bad. Everything is fixed and I have no prior points or negative actions on my record. Thanks for any advise given.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, CA.

I was unfortunate to not be able to get to the courthouse due to traffic from the LAX area and I missed them today. It was a basic fix it ticket (tail light) If I show up early tomorrow to take care of it, do you think there will be any "good will" towards my situation? I had full intentions of getting there but work and traffic got me pretty bad. Everything is fixed and I have no prior points or negative actions on my record. Thanks for any advise given.
That sucks, but you should have had at least a couple of weeks already to take care of your ticket before today's deadline. The fact that you waited until the last day, and then missed the deadline because you got caught up in last-minute traffic, is the result of poor planning on your part. On that basis alone, the court is unlikely to allow you any additional time without the usual penalties.

You might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.

DayOneGuy

I appreciate the responses. I have been bouncing around 2 jobs in different states, hence why I was at LAX. It is poor planning on life's part and it just didn't work out. I just happened to be at my other job in OH the last few months. Oh well. Guess I will see what they say. Hopefully me being at the courthouse the time it opens will show some sort of good gesture.

W

Willlyjo

I appreciate the responses. I have been bouncing around 2 jobs in different states, hence why I was at LAX. It is poor planning on life's part and it just didn't work out. I just happened to be at my other job in OH the last few months. Oh well. Guess I will see what they say. Hopefully me being at the courthouse the time it opens will show some sort of good gesture.
I've been in court a couple times observing appearances by people before the judge in situations like yours and found that most of the time, the judge will look at the proof that you fixed the problem and then direct you to the cashier to pay the processing fee. Based on that, my opinion is that you shouldn't have a problem, unless you get a judge that for some reason, is in a bad mood. Even so, what is the worst case scenario? I don't think you'd get a failure to appear ticket. ;)

It is most likely the judge would notice that you fixed the tail light before the last day you were suppose to show proof that you fixed the problem, therefore, it is most likely you will have no ill effects due to you not getting to court the day before. :)

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I've been in court a couple times observing appearances by people before the judge in situations like yours and found that most of the time, the judge will look at the proof that you fixed the problem and then direct you to the cashier to pay the processing fee. Based on that, my opinion is that you shouldn't have a problem, unless you get a judge that for some reason, is in a bad mood. Even so, what is the worst case scenario? I don't think you'd get a failure to appear ticket. ;)

It is most likely the judge would notice that you fixed the tail light before the last day you were suppose to show proof that you fixed the problem, therefore, it is most likely you will have no ill effects due to you not getting to court the day before. :)
Chances are pretty good that they won't get an FTA, but they will almost certainly have the increased fines from not paying within the required timeframe. Maybe even the administrative fee tacked on top of it.

That sucks, but you should have had at least a couple of weeks already to take care of your ticket before today's deadline. The fact that you waited until the last day, and then missed the deadline because you got caught up in last-minute traffic, is the result of poor planning on your part. On that basis alone, the court is unlikely to allow you any additional time without the usual penalties.

You might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.
I dont think the ticket says you cant wait till the last date to show up in court. If that were the case the ticket would say "please show before said last date to show up".

sandyclaus

I dont think the ticket says you cant wait till the last date to show up in court. If that were the case the ticket would say "please show before said last date to show up".
Dude, your statement makes absolutely NO sense. At ALL.

A due date, or a deadline, is just that - a date by which you would need to do the required action. On the ticket, there is a due date by which you must either pay, or show up in court to fight that ticket.

The consequence for not handling the ticket by that due, especially in Los Angeles courts (from my past experience) is that as of the next day, you earn a higher fine - a penalty for not paying or disposing of the ticket on or before that due date.

From the California Courts website (http://www.courts.ca.gov/9540.htm):

What happens if you ignore your traffic ticket?
If you ignore (do not respond to) your ticket, your situation will only get worse. Your fine will increase and additional penalties can be added.

If you do not go to court on your court date
This is called a "failure to appear" (FTA). If you violate your written promise to appear at court, you can be found guilty of a misdemeanor.

In addition, if you do not pay your fine on time, an extra fee may be added to your fine amount and your case may be referred for collection. This extra fee is called a "civil assessment," and it can be up to $300. And the court can charge you with "failure to pay a fine" or "contempt of court." If that happens, you will be charged with a misdemeanor and the court can issue a warrant for your arrest.

If you do not pay the fine
If you do not pay your fine within the time the court gives you, the court can suspend your driver's license. And you will not be able to renew your car's registration.

In addition, if you do not pay your fine on time, an extra fee may be added to your fine amount and your case may be referred for collection. This extra fee is called a "civil assessment," and it can be up to $300. And the court can charge you with "failure to pay a fine" or "contempt of court." If that happens, you will be charged with a misdemeanor and the court can issue a warrant for your arrest.

W

Willlyjo

Dude, your statement makes absolutely NO sense. At ALL.

A due date, or a deadline, is just that - a date by which you would need to do the required action. On the ticket, there is a due date by which you must either pay, or show up in court to fight that ticket.

The consequence for not handling the ticket by that due, especially in Los Angeles courts (from my past experience) is that as of the next day, you earn a higher fine - a penalty for not paying or disposing of the ticket on or before that due date.

From the California Courts website (http://www.courts.ca.gov/9540.htm):
The thing is, is the Op didn't fail to respond to taking care of the ticket, he simply ran into traffic that prevented him from getting there to prove that his tail light(s) was fixed. Therefore, in most cases of this sort (that I've actually seen take place before a judge in Los Angeles County), the judge will look at the documentation showing the tail light was fixed and direct the Op to the cashier where he'd pay only the processing fee (without any additional fines added).

Could the judge tack on a fine if he wanted to? Yes, he could. But I haven't seen it based on my own experiences before the judge and based on observing like situations before the judge in Los Angeles. Judges, from my experience, are very reasonable and it doesn't appear the judge would not be reasonable to the Op under the circumstances as posted in this thread.

BTW...a fix it ticket is not like a parking ticket that mandates additional penalties/fees if not paid by a certain date. Because of this, the judge has discretion which more often than not, goes in favor of anyone with the same issues as what the Op is dealing with.

Dayoneguy: I'd appreciate it if you come back and let us know how it went. :)

Last edited:

sandyclaus

The thing is, is the Op didn't fail to respond to taking care of the ticket, he simply ran into traffic that prevented him from getting there to prove that his tail light(s) was fixed. Therefore, in most cases of this sort (that I've actually seen take place before a judge in Los Angeles County), the judge will look at the documentation showing the tail light was fixed and direct the Op to the cashier where he'd pay only the processing fee (without any additional fines added).

Could the judge tack on a fine if he wanted to? Yes, he could. But I haven't seen it based on my own experiences before the judge and based on observing like situations before the judge in Los Angeles. Judges, from my experience, are very reasonable and it doesn't appear the judge would not be reasonable to the Op under the circumstances as posted in this thread.
Oh, please. You HAVE read my signature lines, right?

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

That being said, OP had PLENTY of time to get the ticket resolved before the last day. Had they done so, they wouldn't have found themselves where they are right now. Had they gone SOONER rather than the last day to go to court, they would have still had at least another day to go back when traffic wasn't an issue. The fact that they waited until the last minute isn't anyone else's fault but their own. Had they made this a priority, they wouldn't have been up against such a tight deadline that allowed them to use traffic as an excuse not to appear in court.

In MY experience, I have seen some pretty particular judges in LA County who will nickel and dime you for anything they can. One minute late to court, and get a default judgment. One day late, and get the administrative assessment and increased fines. You and I obviously lived in different areas of the city, or you just want to paint this pretty picture that is blatantly unrealistic - especially given the current state of the City's budget.

Will the judge press the higher fine? They CAN, and they probably WILL. That's the reality of the situation. Far fewer judges these days will accept such lame excuses or a pretty face batting their eyelashes to get out of the consequences the violator has rightly earned.

Antigone*

That being said, OP had PLENTY of time to get the ticket resolved before the last day. Had they done so, they wouldn't have found themselves where they are right now. Had they gone SOONER rather than the last day to go to court, they would have still had at least another day to go back when traffic wasn't an issue. The fact that they waited until the last minute isn't anyone else's fault but their own. Had they made this a priority, they wouldn't have been up against such a tight deadline that allowed them to use traffic as an excuse not to appear in court.

In MY experience, I have seen some pretty particular judges in LA County who will nickel and dime you for anything they can. One minute late to court, and get a default judgment. One day late, and get the administrative assessment and increased fines. You and I obviously lived in different areas of the city, or you just want to paint this pretty picture that is blatantly unrealistic - especially given the current state of the City's budget.

Will the judge press the higher fine? They CAN, and they probably WILL. That's the reality of the situation. Far fewer judges these days will accept such lame excuses or a pretty face batting their eyelashes to get out of the consequences the violator has rightly earned.
Judges have heard every excuse in the book. They are overworked and could care less about the OP's two jobs, his nana at home and the flat tire he got on the way to court. All they care about is did the OP do as he was ordered to to - and guess what HE didn't.

I'm with Sandy, this is going to cost him. His crying about it here and asking for our opinions isn't going to matter one bit. In fact the only one who could tell him with any certainty what would happen is SeniorJudge; but he took the crystal ball on his book tour and won't give it back to us.

W

Willlyjo

Really, Sandy...I'm not in disagreement with you, but I'm just saying that based on my experience, the judge may allow the Op off with just paying the processing fee. IT'S A FIX-IT TICKET FOR PETE'S SAKES! It isn't like the Op didn't show up to pay a fine for running a red light. :rolleyes: And, I've even seen the judge waive FTA penalties for those who were late on appearing in those types of cases, as well.

One of 2 things is going to happen here--the OP is going to end up paying processing fees only or he may be assessed a fine on top of such fees. Hopefully, the Op will come back and give us the details.

DayOneGuy

Update!

Went in, everything went 100% great. I paid only the fee for the fix it ticket! I explained my situation, showing them the issue was fixed but I was out of town for months working, hence the extensions. They said "Don't worry it happens all the time, we let it slide for tickets like this". :D

Thanks all for the responses.

DayOneGuy

The clerk said it. It's a courthouse in a "not so great" area of town of Los Angeles. They are probably more accustomed to hearing more then other areas? I don't know. I was also one day late and I was there before they even opened the windows. It's not like I was trying to evade it or cop out of it. She seemed to be very ok with it. I didn't even see a judge.

edit: No offense, you guys are most likely good at what you do, but i'm glad the courthouse had a tad more humility lol. Instead of addressing it so black and white, legal wise. Stuff happens. Not everyone deserves a black eye, per se. I am 100% aware I had a set amount of time to take care of the ticket. My reasons don't matter ( i know that) but I got the ticket on my way to the airport, and I stopped by pep boys and fixed in the parking lot, (Receipts and all proving it) before I had to leave out of town. I fixed the issue and got on the plane. I was out of town until the same day as the court date. I'm sure if I had waited even another day my situation would have been 10x worse. Thankfully I didn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">