• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Front Plate ticket from another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msmith1957

What is the name of your state? Md
I was parked in Wash, DC, and was given a ticket for not having a front plate. My car is registered in MD. Do I have to pay the ticket? A MD state trooper pulled me over a week later, and only gave me a warning. A friend who is a State cop said it isn't a ticketable offense in MD.What is the name of your state?

JETX

Of course you do not have to pay that ticket.... unless you plan on ever visiting Maryland again!!

JETX said:
Of course you do not have to pay that ticket.... unless you plan on ever visiting Maryland again!!
I think the OP said that he got the ticket in Washinton DC. How could he be ticketed in DC for not having a frontal Maryland license plate? I thought the jurisdiction for that would be in MD, not DC.

racer72

Dougthegreat said:
I think the OP said that he got the ticket in Washinton DC. How could he be ticketed in DC for not having a frontal Maryland license plate? I thought the jurisdiction for that would be in MD, not DC.
All motor vehicles must be legal of operate in the state in which they are licensed, even when used in other states. The vehicle was in Washington DC, that is all the jurisdiction that is required. The fact a no ticket was given later is irrelevent. Failure to pay the ticket could result in absolutely nothing happening, not being able to renew your driver's license or at the end of the scale, being pulled over for a minor traffic offense, being arrested and having your car impounded. Well, do feel lucky?

xylene

There was some other MD guy who was complaining about his car for the same thing.

A front plate is required of cars in MD.

If you got this ticket and your car was registered in delaware it would be different.

Afix your front plate properly. Use stainless steel fasteners to prevent damage.

Pay the ticket and consider it a lesson learned that the 2 PLATES you were given was not so you would have a spare. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tranquility

Racer72 wrote (in part):
All motor vehicles must be legal of operate in the state in which they are licensed, even when used in other states. The vehicle was in Washington DC, that is all the jurisdiction that is required.

I have to disagree with Racer72. Case law is in agreement on this very issue (no front plate) at the federal appellate level. Some states require it and some states do not. (Although there is a federal push towards states requiring one.) The cases come down to a police officer pulling over an out-of-state vehicle for missing a front plate. In the state of the vehicle's registration, front plates are not required. Police search the car and find whatever. Driver sues for lack of probable cause on the stop. Result? Evidence is usually thrown out for illegal search. Mistake of law, not a mistake of fact. (These are for non-moving violations.)

If that were the case, most any car from out of state driving in California would be ticketed as they don't have the smog equipment our state requires.

That does not mean you can ignore the ticket--it only means you should win if you fight it. (That is, if you were correct with the info that MD does not require a front plate.)

INFO EDIT:
Read my last sentence. Xylene usually gets this stuff right. If MD requires, you are guilty.

Last edited:

racer72

tranquility said:
Racer72 wrote (in part):
All motor vehicles must be legal of operate in the state in which they are licensed, even when used in other states. The vehicle was in Washington DC, that is all the jurisdiction that is required.

I have to disagree with Racer72. Case law is in agreement on this very issue (no front plate) at the federal appellate level. Some states require it and some states do not. (Although there is a federal push towards states requiring one.) The cases come down to a police officer pulling over an out-of-state vehicle for missing a front plate. In the state of the vehicle's registration, front plates are not required. Police search the car and find whatever. Driver sues for lack of probable cause on the stop. Result? Evidence is usually thrown out for illegal search. Mistake of law, not a mistake of fact. (These are for non-moving violations.)

If that were the case, most any car from out of state driving in California would be ticketed as they don't have the smog equipment our state requires.

That does not mean you can ignore the ticket--it only means you should win if you fight it. (That is, if you were correct with the info that MD does not require a front plate.)
You obviously did not read my post.

racer72 said:
All motor vehicles must be legal of operate in the state in which they are licensed, even when used in other states.
Which means the OP's vehicle must meet the licensing requirements of the state of Maryland to be driven in DC, Maryland requires 2 plates. The OP's car did not meet the licensing requirements for Maryland, the DC police can and did site the OP for this. I was pulled over years ago in the state of Washington, which requires 2 plates, while driving a car licensed from Kansas, which requires one. When the officer found out about Kansas laws he told me to have a nice day and let me go. This also means vehicles not licensed in California can drive legally in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">