• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missing parking sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbonner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
How far are parking signs supposed to be? I received a parking violation for street cleaing but the sign was half a block away, which is the reason I didn't see it.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
How far are parking signs supposed to be? I received a parking violation for street cleaing but the sign was half a block away, which is the reason I didn't see it.
**A: what did ther citation actually state?

WaltinPA

Street cleaning is usually determined and scheduled by the city, town, or township. The sign warnings are often at the beginning of the block so if you park at the end of the block, you may miss the sign. In some locales, they do not allow street parking at all during certain hours, i.e., 2-6AM, the warning will be on a street sign as you enter the jurisdiction.

The fine is usually nominal amount & is a non-moving violation. Best course is to simply pay it.

GoIllini

The rule in NYC is once per block. That's about it. Consider yourself lucky. In the NYC metro area, tickets that run $15 in downstate NJ start at $65.

GoIllini

I'm pretty sure it's the same in most parts of NJ, but I wouldn't know where to look it up. Hey, maybe you could find it for the OP. :)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Meh, better to try to be helpful but clueless than to be unhelpful. You never know when a piece of info helps. :D
Unfortunately, on a LEGAL ADVICE SITE, that is a bad attitude to take. "Trying to be helpful" when you have no idea can actually harm the people on here looking for accurate legal information.

GoIllini

Unfortunately, on a LEGAL ADVICE SITE, that is a bad attitude to take. "Trying to be helpful" when you have no idea can actually harm the people on here looking for accurate legal information.
That's why you use statements like "I think." rather than "I know." Most OPs realize that this is stuff they need to do research on themselves, hence why they are coming to this site in the first place.

Better to try and be helpful with what you know than to come off as unhelpful. There are enough unhelpful people in NJ as it stands. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's why you use statements like "I think." rather than "I know." Most OPs realize that this is stuff they need to do research on themselves, hence why they are coming to this site in the first place.

Better to try and be helpful with what you know than to come off as unhelpful. There are enough unhelpful people in NJ as it stands. :)
That is not necessarily true. Guesses lead to wild-goose chases which waste the time, energy and patience of people. Additionally, your "I think" can easily translate to "Here's how it is" in many people's minds...leading them to waste a lot of time, energy and money (sorry to be redundant).

This is NOT intended to be a flame. Rather, I am genuinely trying to help you understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">