• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Registration Sticker on Brand New Vehicle (NY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oneself

Hi,

I've recently purchased a new motorcycle. I also got a new licence plate. When I picked up the motorcycle, I was issued a temporary registration card. The permanent registration card is supposed to arrive in the mail with the license plate registration sticker. I left my motorcycle legally parked in the streets of NYC and received a parking ticket. It reads:

4-08(j)(3) Reg. Sticker Missing (NYS)
Can I fight this ticket? Is it okay to be missing a registration sticker if I haven't received it yet? If this is not okay, how am I suppose to park at this time? What do I need to display on my motorcycle to prove I have valid temporary registration?

Thank you

xylene

Garage the bike till the sticker arrives

Definitely fight the ticket.

Save all the correspondence and open it carefully to preserve the postmark.

this is pretty common and you should prevail.

oneself

Thank you for your reply.

So, you're saying that it _is_ legal to park on a public street without a registration sticker if one has not arrived yet?

xylene

I said what I said, park the car in a garage until you get the sticker.

You have a DEFENSE to the ticket in your temporary registration, but it won't stop you from receiving the ticket, and unless you are some kind of glutton for punishment you probably want to avoid that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">