• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mont. County, NY - Fictitious Use of Inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

levelhead86

Hi,

First time poster here, although this is my g/f's first run in with the law, so it may make sense. We got pulled over today and ticketed for "fictitious use/display of inspection." It sucked...

Mostly because the inspection we paid for legitimately, but we're the one's who got the ticket, because we can't find the receipt from the "inspection station" *it's from almost a year ago* and the place is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from here *near my inlaw's place.* We're going to try our damndest to get the information for our court appearance so that we can settle this, but her and I were just wondering what kinda fine we can expect if we end up having to pay one? I know the officer said it is a "misdemeanor" but I'm not totally sure what that means. The violation was "NYS V&T Law, Section 306; Sub E" and I just wanted to see if we can get any useful info on this... thanks a ton!

Randall

Edit: According to info from "West Seneca, NY", the maximum fine for this violation is $300... I'm in Palatine Bridge, NY though, so don't know if that applies here?

Last edited:

The link to NYS laws

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

Click on "VAT"

(e) Any person who shall make, issue or knowingly use any imitation or
counterfeit of an official certificate of inspection, or who shall
possess or display or cause or permit to be displayed upon any motor
vehicle any certificate of inspection knowing the same to be fictitious
or issued without an inspection or required repairs having been made,
or, who unlawfully mutilates a valid certificate of inspection or
rejection, or who shall knowingly issue, obtain or present a false
statement in connection with a waiver authorized by this article, or who
unlawfully removes such a certificate from a motor vehicle, shall be
guilty of a misdemeanor. The provisions of this subdivision shall also
apply to any temporary indicia of inspection provided for by regulation
of the commissioner.

You did not knowingly use the immitation inspection sticker. You are therefore not guilty.

You do need to get a legitimit sticker before your court date, and show the reciepts to the judge to show that as soon as you knew about it, you fixed the problem.

levelhead86

Thanks!

Thanks for the help so far... her and I just wanted to get any info we could; we were just trying to be prepared for the "worst case scenario", in case the judge or DA wants to play hardball *I've had that happen to me a FEW times :mad: * Thanks again! If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to add! We can use the help!

Randall

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">