• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle parked in 13c - crosshatch/out of stall - CVC 22507.8(C)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimFibrosol

In San Diego California, in a 6 story parking garage at my work, the motorcycle parking has 8 stalls which are behind a series of metal guard parking pillars. The motorcycle parking spaces are also beside the handicapped parking spots, and what they have done is paint the blue crosshatched lines such that the motorcycle parking stalls are surrounded by the crosshatched lines on every side. There are about 30 crosshatched lines that extend 20 feet or so, all the way to the elevator doors.

Because this is a large area of crosshatched lines *behind* the metal guard pillars it is very common for motorcycles to park *beside* the the 8 designated spots when they are full. I did this Friday and the ticket was $452.50

I took some pictures to show how my bike was parked and I'm asking on here if this is possible to contest? Or at least get the fine reduced.

I understand the spirit of the law is to prevent people from parking in the crosshatched area where a wheel chair would be unloaded. However due to how the metal guard pillars are arranged, it is not physically possible to unload a wheel chair in this area. And honestly it looks like when they painted the blue crosshatched line, they got carried away and decided to extend the lines all the way to the elevator doors 20 feet away, even though due to the metal guard pillars there is no way to get a vehicle past them, and it's just a huge 800 square foot open space of blue crosshatched lines, with 8 motorcycle parking spaces. So I think the person issuing the ticket was being a stickler to the letter of the law.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are not allowed to park on the blue cross-hatch markings. You can park somewhere else.

OHRoadwarrior

Let me provide the part of the statute you apparently are not familiar with. Think of it as a "No Kill" zone for the disabled.

(c) It is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any vehicle, including a vehicle displaying a special identification license plate issued pursuant to Section 5007 or a distinguishing placard issued pursuant to Section 22511.55 or 22511.59, in either of the following places:

(1) On the lines marking the boundaries of a parking stall or space designated for disabled persons or disabled veterans.

(2) In any area of the pavement adjacent to a parking stall or space designated for disabled persons or disabled veterans that is marked by crosshatched lines and is thereby designated, pursuant to any local ordinance, for the loading and unloading of vehicles parked in the stall or space.

LdiJ

While I don't disagree with either of the two posters I would be interested to see what one of our other senior members has to say about this. I could imagine a judge in traffic court agreeing with you if sufficient evidence was presented that the blue lines were seriously in excess of the requirements and that the area could not be accessed by a wheelchair anyway. There is room in the law for a judge's discretion. I am not at all saying that this is a winner for you, I am simply not totally ruling it out.

OHRoadwarrior

If I had to venture a guess, the width of the designated line is due to safety crossing, in relation to the lanes of the parking area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">